Barely Online

After my laptop FINALLY detects my router, it connects, but instead of

54MBps, it's 1.0MBps why so slow? It used to work well, and now, for absolutely NO reason, it just slowed right down.

Wireless internet really isn't all it's cracked up to be...

Does anyone know the reason for this? :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
ChrisTheRockGod
Loading thread data ...

Wireless internet is very reliable, mine is spec'ed out for 99.2% reliablity (12 minutes per day downtime) for the way far out users (several miles away) and 99.9% reliability (88 seconds per day) for the close in customers.

However what I think you are REALLY asking, "why is your wireless local area network so slow?"

Ok, some basic troubleshooting. It worked before, but not now. That might imply you had the configurations correct at one time and it has now failed or degraded to teh point of being useless (although they might have changed and you need to treat it as a new install). If indeed your configurations are indeed correct, I'd treat it as a system failure (as opposed to a new install) and start considering interference.

My first line of thinking would to ask if you live in an apartment, condo or zero-lot-line housing and someone fired up a new wireless resource very close to you. Try changing your channel and see what that does, in fact...try several channels. Typically channel 6 is the worst as its usually the default out of the box setting for wireless devices.

Next I'd ask how frequent does your speed drop? If its just a few minutes a couple of times a day (or all day if you live above a fast food place that nukes' their burgers) , perhaps a microwave oven started up. If its for longer periods, but appears to be good in the late night hours, I'd consider its possible cordless phone interference.

Things never fail for absolutely no reason (excluding the Democrats controlling the Congress). Its more appropriate to say it failed for no apparent reason that can be detected by cursory troubleshooting.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.