Atheros SNMP Telnet Commands? (HTML Post)

Hi,

Apologies for the HTML. I tried posting this in plain ASCII, but the spacing became a complete mess. I've been wanting to play around with SNMP for some time, but just got around to after playing with Wallwatcher. One of my routers works fine, but can't seem to get a bunch of WAPs I have to work. The WAPs are D-Link DWL-7100AP TriMode (802.11a/g/b).

Supposibly, the DWL-7100AP supports SNMP. The product description says it has SNMP support. It is written all over D-Link's website and even the retail box. However, there is no interface for SNMP in it's web config interface. The only interface for SNMP configuration is through telnet.

I've looked everywhere for documentation on how to use these commands. Up and down the web with google and NG archives with Deja. Nothing out there except for a few other sporadic posts

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

became a complete mess.

Not a good reason. Please get a better newsreader.

Reply to
John Navas

Yes, its working!

Sorry for the HTML in the previous post, just wanted to make sure the telnet text capture remained readable. It may be helpful to someone in the future looking to do the same thing with these AP's.

Looks like my guesswork with the SNMP telnet commands actually did work, but Wallwatcher watching catching the SNMP.

Installed another program called "PRTG Traffic Grapher" and immiedietly got excited when seeing the SNMP autosensor find the WAP I had "configured". Not believing it could be that easy, I pointed the program to IP's of other WAPs (same model) on my network but hadn't "configured" them through telnet. To my suprise and delight, the autosensor failed to see them.

Got it back to the configed WAP and watching all the traffic. Whats cool is that the SNMP automatically sensed that the WAP had three points for where traffic passes: 802.11a, 802.11g/b, and the ethernet port.

Going beyond that, I had a .MIB file for this particular WAP, but until using this program didn't really know what the heck to do with it. The program allows for you to import .MIB's, of which I did, and now it is seeing all sorts of cool stuff from the WAP. (Assuming a .MIB is a database of OID's. Still learning here.)

I'm still in play mode, learning how this all works before configuring everything permenantly. Its just cool that know I know it does work.

Bunch of unanswered questions, but I "think" I should be on the path of figuring them out now. Even if it takes "trial and error". The "Authorization Protocol" and "Private Protocol" things (which I have no clue what actually are yet) kind of bug me because I'm assuming that what I'm doing now is out in the clear and open. Also unsure if this SNMP stuff just stays local on the LAN or goes out onto the WAN. Think I'll be able to figure all that out though.

Anyway, if you got stuff that does SNMP, give it a try -- especially if there is a custom .MIB for it. The generic "database" gives quite a bit of useful information (mainly traffic), but with the imported .MIB it is relaying all kinds of info.

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Generic 802.11 MIB [IEEE802dot11-MIB] from Cisco.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oh, cool, thanks! Definetly will play with that MIB later as well. I didn't even know that MIB's were nothing more than just text files until looking at that one, as all the ones I've been playing with (including DLink's) were extended with .mib Makes sense though. The descriptions in that file should prove quite helpful. Found enough reference material to believe I should get the authentication and private protocols licked too. Still learning this stuff, but its pretty neat. Actually it seems much more simple than I thought it was going to be. :^)

Man, now that I'm seeing really good data and statistics, seeing (like you always say) how bad (and inefficient) repeating really is! Yeah, it "works", but underneath its really like a nasty "kludge". I'll be running more CAT5 soon.

Thanks again!

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

"Eric" hath wroth:

Just rename the file. The .MIB extension screws up when a web browser tried to view it directly. Use a different extension for downloads and rename.

Also, DWL-900AP+ MIB.

formatting link
uses a TI ACX100 chip. Not the same as Atheros. Might be worth digging through.

I think you have a DWL-7100AP. Note that Dlink sells an SNMP monitoring package:

formatting link
clue on the price. You can get the trial version for free:
formatting link
guess is you can borrow the MIB files from the package.

This is lifted from my reply to a question on SNMP and traffic monitoring using various tools. Might be of interest:

MRTG (multirouter traffic grapher)

formatting link
RRDTool (Round Robin Database Tool)
formatting link
Both of these will extract SNMP statistics from your wireless access point and plot pretty pictures. MRTG is very easy to setup and runs mostly on PERL. RRDTool is more complex, but had better pictures with more detail and features. Either will work.

RRDTool and wireless setup:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
(Cisco 1200)

Example of MRTG used to monitor wireless traffic:

formatting link
(click on any graph)
formatting link
(firewall)
formatting link
(user count)
formatting link
(user count)

Cisco page on MRTG monitoring:

formatting link
You are probably going to need the Cisco MIBs for your equipment:
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
It's kinda difficult to troubleshoot SNMP problem with MRTG or RRDTool. For troubleshooting, you use a MIB browser such as GetIF

2.3.1:
formatting link
trick to using it is to copy your MIB files into the: c:\\program files\\getif 2.3.1\\mibs\\ directory. Then, erase the file: .index (note the leading dot). GetIF will recreate the .index file on startup. Do this every time you add anything to the mibs directory. Point GetIF at the IP address of the access point. Use the correct read-only community name (usually public). Hit the MBrowser tab and select "Start". You should get a long list of OID's (object identifiers) and their values. If you loaded all the necessary MIB databases, then you should get descriptions in addition to OID numbers. If this works, then you have access to SNMP in your access point.

There are also some handy Linux tools that have been ported to Windoze. See Net-SNMP at:

formatting link
There are also some notes on MIB support for net-snmp which includes mention of Atheros MIB's. See:
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

Reply to
Eric

spacing became a complete mess.

Reply to
Eric

"Eric" hath wroth:

You might also want to fix your style as adding a signature delimiter (as above) at the beginning of the message effectively truncates any replies at that point. Don't do that.

I'll assume Windoze. If Unix, Linux, or Mac, kindly disclose. Forte Agent:

formatting link
I'm using Fixedsys 9pt for the message body. It's also a good idea to avoid using tabs as different readers handle these in different ways.

They will all try to autowrap text beyond about column 75. The trick is to insert a character that is normally used for quoting. Forte will not autowrap anything that begins with one of these. I use "|" but ">" and ":" will also work (and perhaps a few other).

Perhaps it would be best if you followed a variation of the golden rule. Don't post garbage that you would not want to read or see yourself.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks, I'll give that a try. (And also fix Ink Spot CE from doing the '--'.)

Reply to
Eric

"Eric" hath wroth:

The "-- " (note the space) is normal for delimiting the signature from the body of the message. However, you somehow managed to put it at the top of the message. My guess(tm) is that you typed your message into the area reserved for the signature. Leave the "-- " alone and just type the message ABOVE it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.