DLink using bad caps?

Hi,

As I recently posted, one of my main wireless routers (DI-764 802.11a/b) finally died completetly after six years of use. The 802.11a radio had died a few months back, but by then I was only using the router portion of the DI-764 as I had a WAP (DWL-7100AP 802.11a/gb) attached to it.

I've since ordered a wired router to replace the old DI-764 (waiting on it to arrive from Newegg), but thought I would play around with the old DI-764 and see if I could actually fix the thing. Upon opening it up, I noticed that one cap had completely bursted while another one was buldging. First trip to a Radio Shack proved fruitless as that particular store (at a mall) no longer sold components. The sales clerk didn't even know what a capacitor was. She kept asking me if it was some sort of interconnect!

Anyway, today while lunch at work, I went to a regular Radio Shack and got new caps. I then soldered the new caps onto the mainboard and the DI-764, to me disbelief, was fully operational again!

Once I got home, I decided to look into another D-Link WAP that I have since it has just started acting a little flakey. Sure enough, one of the caps inside it is starting to buldge. This particular WAP has only been running for a little over a year.

Ok, I guess I shouldn't really complain about six years of 24/7 operation, but should they be crapping out after only a year? Is D-Link saving a few pennies by using poor quality caps?

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

If you could photograph the bad caps and where they were located, upload the photo, then readers at sci.electronics.design could diagnose the problem.

I do salute your effort to fix the problem.

Reply to
miso

No, it's not really D-Links fault. Since about 1999, the entire industry has been plagued by defective low-ESR electrolytic capacitors with counterfeit electrolyte.

The problem has been that there are so many defective capacitors in circulation, that they end up in current products. Also, the delay before they blow up varies with temperature and loading. A very hot and high rippple current capacitor on a PC motherboard may blow up in a few weeks, while the same capacitor, in a light duty and cooler product, might take years.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi,

Wow. I remember when computer motherboards were having problems with bad caps, but didn't realize it was so broad....

Reply to
Eric

Hi,

Didn't even think of that... The bad caps have already made their way to a dumpster...

Reply to
Eric

I've seen it in power supplies, wireless devices, monitors, hi-fi hardware, and various type of consumer electronics. Even the Apple (Lucent) Airport wireless router has had problems:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.