Any WiMAX towers currently operating on East Coast???

I want to test my laptop with 802.11g in a WiMAX hotspot, but cant seem to locate any on the East Coast. The only one I know that is currently operational is the one on the Space Needle in Seattle.

Anyone know of current WiMAX towers in the East?

Reply to
TJM
Loading thread data ...

802.11g hardware is not compatible with WiMax, it's going to require new hardware to communicate (not readily available yet)

formatting link
and in the early going, it's not going to be cheap or free....

formatting link

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

6mbps costs $1200 per month on a month to month basis. Is this expected to change in the near future? Will it be priced so that average consumers can afford it? I'd love to have it, but there's no way I'd pay as much as my rent for my ISP.
Reply to
Bootstrap Bill

There's no way WiMAX will stay at that price for long. I remember paying $60/mo. for ISDN to my house in 1997 and it was only 128K downstream. Everything new is pricey, but will drop fast.

I predict total nationwide WiMAX coverage by 2012 for a mere $10/mo.......broadband paradise!

Reply to
TJM

Wi-max is never going to replace copper. There are simply too many people. A 10Km radius may have perhaps 10000 internet connections, all going at an average of some 3K/second. Wi-max simply can't do even close to 30M/second to thousands of users.

In sparse communities, maybe it might compete a bit.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.