antenna diversity?

When looking at install an outdoor antenna what are the issues associated with spatial and/or polarization diversity?

For example, hyperlink sells two panel antennae, one with 'spatial' and the other with 'polarization' diversity.

formatting link
Under what conditions would one be better/worse than the other?

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney
Loading thread data ...

The diversity algorithm used by your radios has a big effect.

formatting link

They're about equal. The main problem that both of these are really good at eliminating is frequency selective fading. This is where you have two paths to a given single antenna. The two paths are exactly

180 degrees out of phase resulting in a deep null at one frequency. Chances are really good that a null at one antenna will not also appear at the other antenna.

However, there's no way to optimize either the location (spatial) or the polarization of the two signals. The probability that they might cancel at any given point is fairly independent of the antenna construction and configuration. As long as there is more than one path to a given antenna, there will be nulls and cancellation. It really depends more on the room under test. I suppose I could contrive an artificially weird room that is polarization or location sensitive, but that's not reality. For example, if you're shooting over water, spatial would definitely be better because there's only one place for the signal to bounce and it's going to be the same polarization as the original.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hmmm, what about being in a marina amongst both power and sailboats?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The (near) vertical sheets and vertical masts will do a marvelous job of generating vertical polarized reflections while somewhat blocking horizontal reflections. The relatively wide masts will reflect some horizontally polarized signals (because they're about a wavelength across), but not as much as the verticals.

I would guess(tm) that spacial diversity with the antennas vertically polarized would be best on the assumption that most of the usable signals will be vertical. However, there will be fewer reflections in the horizontal so maybe the horizontal is better. Argh... decisions.

One thing for sure, there's no need to do polarization diversity. There will be far more usable signal with vertical polarization than with horizontal. Maybe if you put the two antennas at opposing 45 degree angles? That might be useful. Argh... decisions.

Can I give up while I'm still sane?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Wait, you're arguing you're sane now?

Then how about putting up one at a 45 degree angle?

I'll go with the spatially diverse one instead of the one with polarization then.

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.