are the antenna cables fungible?

Hi,

I am about to install a mini PCI wireless adapter into a laptop. It has two antenna cables in the (empty) slot. I was thinking of just connecting the longest cable to the furthest connector.

Which brings me to the following question: Are these antenna cables fungible (can they go to either RF connector)? Or, do they need to go to a specific RF connector on the network card?

-T

Reply to
Todd and Margo Chester
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:08:10 -0700, Todd and Margo Chester wrote in :

Hard to say, because it depends on the particular mini PCI Wi-Fi card. Some do seem to favor the "Main" antenna; others not so much. This might matter if one of the two antennas is significantly better than the other.

Reply to
John Navas

Todd and Margo Chester hath wroth:

Fungible? If it's a problem, use a fungicide.

There are two ports, MAIN and AUX on the card. They should be labelled on the MiniPCI card. As John mentioned, if the two antennas are roughly identical and in symmetrical locations, then it doesn't matter which antenna goes where. However, many laptops have one antenna in the display section and other in the base. In such laptops, the best antenna would go to the MAIN, while the worst antenna would go to the AUX.

Next time, please disclose the laptop and MiniPCI makers and models.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.