inSSIDer - Strange SSID "Unknown, Adhoc"

Hello,

I have a Cisco 877W (ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T7 and a Toshiba Laptop with an Intel Wireless Interface - Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. The laptop runs Vista. Toshiba A200-27U Model No. PSAE6E

I look around occasionally with inSSIDer and from time to time see a very strange SSID indicated. I understand that inSSIDer gets its information from the Vista driver and sure enough :- c:\>netsh wlan

netsh wlan>show networks mode=Bssid (plain show networks is similar with less detail)

gives me :- (note SSID name should be after "SSID 3 : " as can be seen in subsequent examples.)

SSID 3 : Network type : Adhoc Authentication : Open Encryption : None BSSID 1 : 00:00:00:00:00:00 Signal : 99% Radio Type : Any Radio Type Channel : 13 Basic Rates (Mbps) :

This is consistent with inSSIDer except that inSSIDer shows channel 0. Which does not exist. inSSIDer says SSID "Unknown".

The signal strength is the same as that indicated for my Access Point which is in the same room. inSSIDER says RSSI -50. Also the ONLY AP nearby that is using channel 13 is my own one. Chanel 13 is legal in the UK. 1-13 are allowed. No one else uses it so I do.

Anyone any ideas? Note that inSSIDer does not always show this "rogue" Unknown SSID.

Is my PC opening an Adhoc network to anyone who happens along?

My Cisco router's entry is:

SSID 2 : bod43 Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA-Personal Encryption : TKIP BSSID 1 : 00:19:56:95:xx:xx Signal : 99% Radio Type : 802.11g Channel : 13 Basic Rates (Mbps) : 1 2 Other Rates (Mbps) : 12 18 24 36 48 54 ## I have changed the allowed rates for my own purpose. ## Basically, if at long range use 2M and stick to it ## which I find more reliable than letting it wander.

Another local AP:

SSID 1 : O2wirelessEExxxx Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : Open Encryption : WEP BSSID 1 : 00:90:d0:f2:xx:xx Signal : 13% Radio Type : 802.11g Channel : 1 Basic Rates (Mbps) : 1 2 5.5 11 Other Rates (Mbps) : 6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54

Thanks.

Reply to
bod43
Loading thread data ...

My understanding of Vista ad-hoc networking:-

1. You need an SSID or it won't create or join a network.
  2. Unless you save the ad-hoc network details then when you stop using the ad-hoc capability or move out of range of the network you have been connected to then the ad-hoc details are removed.

I doubt that your wireless card can receive and transmit at the same time so I would be curious how your card could receive a transmission from itself.

It's not something I can repeat with Inssider ver 1.1.1.0318. I also tried putting my adapter in ad-hoc mode and running Inssider and apart from seeing fewer AP's I did not pick an ad-hoc network.

Were you running the Proset s'ware to control the Intel card or just using Vista?

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.