Accessing another access point

Antenna gain at either end is equivalent. So if a neighbor can connect to your AP by using an antenna with 12 dBi of gain (replacing the standard one that we'll say is 2 dBi), the exact same effect could be had by instead replacing your 2 dBi antenna with one of 12 dBi, or also by using 7 dBi antennas at both ends. The requirement is that a total of 10 dB be added, and it makes no difference if it is 10 dB to his end, 10 dB to your end, or 5 to each end.

Note that antennas add gain for both transmit and receive directions too. Transmit power on the other hand, provides gain in one direction only. Hence just increasing the power output of one end does not have the same effect as a better antenna, but increasing power at both ends does.

A cafe hotspot is *clearly* being advertized as available for use, so there is nothing illegal about connecting to it. A high gain antenna will certainly increase the range at which a connection is possible. Typically for every 6 dB additional gain the range will be doubled.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson
Loading thread data ...

Your article is nonsense.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote

Floyd, isn't it a safe assumption that the cafe set up that hotspot for the use of their customers and not for the neighborhood in general? Is there some moral issue here that you are using something that was not intended for you to use? Are you being imoral and iresponsible in saying that it is OK to do so?

Personally I see nothing wrong or imoral with using "ANY" (unprotected) wireless connection unless you intend using it in a harmful manor (hacking, snooping for personal files, or illegal activity).

You have stated otherwise in past posts and even questioned my character and morality for giving the same advice you just gave. Isn't that being kinda hypocritical or are you just confused about using open wireless connections?

William Lee

Reply to
Will-Lee-Cue

I think you are right Floyd. The whole argument is nonsense. Shall we agree that we disagree and let the whole thing drop?

William Lee

Reply to
Will-Lee-Cue

Simple question I hope: Using a simple wireless access point with a coverage of the average house block, if someone used a long range directional or other antenna could they reach this access point or do both machines need to be using antennas of the same size/strength and point to each other?

Another example: Theres a hotspot in a cafe which covers inside and outside of the immediate premises. If you sat a 100 meters or so away with a decent directional antenna and have good line of sight could you link on to it or would it need a similar antenna pointing back to you? I am not about to gain access illegally anywhere but do want to link up on a similar situation with my own hardware.

Regards Wal

Reply to
Wal

Thanks for that Floyd.

Explained well and understood.

Regards Wal

Reply to
Wal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.