802.11x That Attaches by RJ-45 10/100 Port?

Does anyone make a wireless access device that attaches to an ordinary hub/switch/router/firewall using RJ-45 connection to a standard 10/100 ethernet? This would greatly simplify setting up a router/firewall since you could address wireless as just a normal ethernet access port.

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

Sorry, my requirement is for miniaturization. I want something the size of a pinky finger I can just plug into a firewall. My application requires something very small, not a separate box.

I guess one of the problems to overcome here is how does the device get power? I assume that a normal 10/100 ethernet does not supply power to the device that is connected by ethernet? What is this "power over ethernet" standard I hear about, and is that standard intended to only deliver power, or can it deliver both network signal and power together?

Reply to
Will

Called a Wireless Access Point Everybody makes them.

Reply to
bumtracks

Can do both, but it requires the device to be setup for it. You'd need a power supply, and some APs are not that much bigger.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Will,

1) I have yet to find a miniature access point (like a pen drive). The only thing that I could think of is if your firewall is computer-based (i.e. Symantec Enterprise Firewall, Linux, etc.) you could attach a USB wireless adapter to a USB port, and use ControlAP
formatting link
to turn the box into an AP also. From the firewall perspective, it would just be another ethernet port.

Additionally, depending on if you already know what firewall you're using or not, you could select a wireless router that has a built-in firewall.It may not have the same features as a robust firewall (i.e. Cisco Pix), but it works for a lot of small environments.

2) Power over Ethernet (PoE) is also known as 802.3af. It delivers power over the unused pairs of ethernet to the wireless equipment. Your normal ethernet traffic will ride over the same cable without being affected. Additionally, this is wonderful for an installation where the equipment is in a ceiling 300 feet away, and there's no power around.

HTH. If you need any pricing on wireless routers or equipment, feel free to contact us

formatting link
Thanks Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

Care to expand so that we're not guessing in the dark? What problem are you trying to solve?

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.