Modem/Router Recommendations for Macintosh iMac / Panther

I've checked the various web pages for modems discussed recently; however, I can't find one that the manufacturer's spec sheet says will work with OS 10.3.x.

Any suggestion?

TIA, George

Reply to
George Berger
Loading thread data ...

Warren and VAXMan -

I'm using a G4 iMac. It has the ethernet port, and I want to hook up to Comcast cable. I had looked at the Toshiba 2600, but the spec sheet only indicated it would work with Windows.

If the modem is impervious to the OS, that' will solve my problem.

Thanks, guys

George

Reply to
George Berger

First off, I'm going to make an assumption. Even though you just say "modem", I'll assume you're speaking of a cable modem, and not a dial-up modem. If that's an incorrect assumption, then you're in the wrong newsgroup.

Don't use a USB interface, which would be dependent upon drivers being available for the OS.

Use the Ethernet connection, and what OS is in use is irrelevant. Any cable modem with an RJ-45 Ethernet port (almost all of them) will connect to any 10/100 or 10-baseT NIC with an RJ-45 Ethernet port (almost all of them) regardless of the operating system of the device. Windows, Macintosh, *nix, or even a router using a proprietary OS; they'll all work.

On the other hand, if you don't use a NIC, and depend on a USB connection (not recommended), most modems only have USB drivers for Windows.

Reply to
Warren

What Mac are you using? I'd assume it have ethernet. If so, use the modem your provider says will work with their service. Hook it up to the cable and plug your Mac into its ethernet port.

Most any router will work. The Linksys products do some funky things with the HTML they produce and cause Safari issue. Install Netscape if you get one of them.

Reply to
VAXman-

The modem only has USB drivers for Windows, but I'd advise against using the USB interface even if you had Windows. The Ethernet interface supports Ethernet, and Ethernet is Ethernet regardless of the OS. You need no modem specific drivers. You simply connect your Ethernet port to the modem as if it were any Ethernet LAN.

Reply to
Warren

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.