3.5 MILE WIRELESS BRIDGE

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to make a bridge from my house to a distant friend's house (about 3.5 miles straight line) The purpose of this bridge would be so that I could subscribe to dsl at his house which is right about where dsl service ends. I have direcway and I hate it. Anyway our properties are roughly at the same height, my elevation is about 1600, his is about 1560, and there is a valley between our houses that dips to 1300. I am planning on putting a 19dbi directional grid antenna on a 5' tripod on my roof to make it about 45' off the ground and connect it to a WAP11 which would then hook to my server, on his end I am going to put the same hook up on the side of a 75' silo and hook it to the dsl modem. I haven't climbed up on the roof yet, but I am sure that I have a clear line of sight.

The moral of my previous paragraph is, would it be possible to construct this bridge and it actually work, and does anyone have any ideas on any eaiser way to get this done? Also the WAP11's have two antennas so would it be possible to hook the directional grid antenna to one side to send the signal to my house and connect an omni or something to the other to send the signal to his house, or would this just slow it down by making it a point-multi point? Thanks

Reply to
JACOBKENT
Loading thread data ...

This might just work. The WAP11's aren't really made for this sort of use, but plenty of people have made them do things they shouldn't. As for the two antenna types on one AP, that's getting creative, probably won't work the way you're thinking. If you're taking the DSL input, running it into a WAP11 and then to the directional panel antenna for output, your friend could probably get a decent signal off the side lobes. The fact that you seem to have clear line of sight means this project has a high degree of feasibility even if it means a little experimentation on your part. Keep the amount of coax cable to an absolute minimum. The more coax, the less signal. If you have any outdoor connections, waterproof the holy shit out of them. Then waterproof them some more. Myself, I like gear made for the outdoors, usually comes with POE and coax doesn't enter into the equation.

Keep in mind when you've climbed to the top of something like a 75' silo and you hear some weird sounds, check to see if maybe your knees are making contact at irregular intervals.

Reply to
Rôgêr

formatting link
The only thing I would say is that WAP11 2.2's worked very badly for the longer link, i'm guessing it's a timing thing but when replaced with version 1 it all worked fine. Your mileage may vary and they might have fixed it by now anyway.

Do what? The two antennas are there for diversity reception. When you use an external antenna, use just one and configure accordingly in the config so that the chosen antenna is both send/receive.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

You can do it for less than $100

Reply to
David Taylor

Apparently these guys use the D-Link 802.11g access points in a bridging mode. Is bridging mode included with these access points normally, or does the firmware inside need to be reprogrammed for bridging mode? I've got an older DI-614+ but don't remember seeing a bridging mode in its setup.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

formatting link
Found this...

Lorenzo

Reply to
Lorenzo Sandini

Dunno you'd have to look but plenty of very cheap, e.g. sub $50 AP's will do bridging mode.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Rôgêr wrote in news:AbWdnYZTJu5XuozeRVn- snipped-for-privacy@pghconnect.com:

I didn't quite get this statement.

DanS

Reply to
DanS

He is talking about your knees knocking because of the height!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

I have a similar setup between my office and home - approx 7/10th of a mile. However, direct line of sight is not accomplished due to quite a few trees. I am experiencing varying success with bandwidth speed. It seems to vary from

125 to 900 kbps. Most often at the low end. Any thoughts on how to stabilize speed at the 900 kbps high end? I am transmitting a signal from my office, using a flat panel antenna (Model FP19W 19 dbi gain 2150m-2700 mhz), to my house At my house I have a similar flat panel antenna that flows to a bridge that flows to a Linksys Workgroup Switch EZXS55W Version 3 that flows to DLink Access Point DWL 2100AP. In my Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop I have an internal Intel ProWirless LAN

2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter. When I use the internal wireless I seem to consistantly generate bandwidth speeds of 140 to 150 Kbps. However, when I disable the interenal wireless and plug in my son's Netgear 54 Mbps USB 2.0 wireless adapter it generates bandwidth speeds of

900+Kbps. Thinking that it was a problem with my internal wireless I went out and bought the same Netgear wireless device my son was using. When I fired it up it would generate speeds of 140Kbps. Any thoughts or comments?????????????????????
Reply to
rcsimma

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.