15000 foot home

In addition to what Jack said, I also had a client recently where we installed a wireless router. Their house wasn't quite as big as your client's - "only" 11,000 sq. ft. Really, really big. We looked into getting an omni directional antenna. The one we looked at for the client was a 4 ft. high "stick" that attached to one of the router's antennas (you need a router where you can unscrew the existing one). You can either build a stand for the antenna or hang it from the ceiling. Our client wasn't interested in that, so we dropped it.

Here's the one we were looking at, but there are others (and of course I don't know where you live - I'm in the US):

formatting link
If you Google for "omni directional antenna", you'll get some more ideas. Charge a lot, and make sure not to make *any* guarantees because no one will guarantee that the wireless signal will get everywhere in the house because it is so dependent on location, what the signal has to pass through, etc.

Good luck.

Reply to
Malke
Loading thread data ...

Power amps don't work. Let's say you install the worlds biggest illegal overpowered amplifier on the sole access point. It now transmits huge amounts of RF and has fantastic transmit range. Just one problem. It can't hear any better than the original access point, which is already at the limit of receiver sensitivity. So, the wireless client radios (laptops and PDA's) are still running an insipid +15dBm and have no more range than before. The clients can hear the overpowered access point, but the access point can't hear them. Range is exactly the same as without the amplifier.

1. Lots of access points with a wired (CAT5) backbone. If the wired backbone is a problem, look into AC power line backbone.
    formatting link
    catch is that such a backbone is very slow.
  2. Wireless store and forward repeaters using WDS (wireless distribution something). Each box can act as an access point and a repeater simultaneously. Big problem is that each hop cuts your bandwidth in half.
  3. CATV antenna system. I'm not very proud of this install, but it did sorta work. Customer had duplex RG-6/u coax in the walls. Since they only needed one coax cable, I borrowed the 2nd coax for wireless. I made some cute little 2.4GHz antennas with F connectors, and shoved them into the wall plate receptacles. The coax cables went a central location when they came together at two access points and a rather ugly power splitter. The longest run was about 50ft. The losses were horrible but the numbers showed that it should work at close range (<
15ft). It worked.
  1. HVAC waveguide. Another of my butcher jobs that should not have worked, but did. This was a hospital that required 17 signatures and divine intervention to make any mechanical or electrical changes. I decided that since each room had a nice convenient sheet metal HVAC duct, I could use the whole HVAC system as a wireless distribution system. I built a rather ugly horn antenna and used it to feed the ducting. Useable range limit was about 500ft plus about 10ft in each room. The grills forced horizontal polarization. It worked fairly well for about 9 months until the safety people decided that I might be ionizing the air or something and demanded that I remove the horn. However, by that time, a proper access point and CAT5 backbone system was approved and budgeted.
  2. Illuminate from outside. Big houses tend to have big picture windows. I lit up one large mansion, by placing a single access point and directional sector antenna on a nearby garage roof. The other side of the house was similarly illuminated from a storage shed in the yard. I had to add a few access points inside for hallways, stairwells, and inside storage areas. It's so much easier to go through outside glass, than through inside walls. Watch out for metal venetian blinds that will force horizontal polarization.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Try this idea:

formatting link
Carey

Reply to
Carey Holzman

I don't know enough about it, but in the forums where that article is posted you can leave a question and perhaps the author of that article will answer it.

Or maybe someone here knows...

Reply to
Carey Holzman

I think you mean:

formatting link
pigtail for $8 looks nice and cheap).

If you build or buy a properly designed coffee can antenna, you'll get about 8dBi of gain:

formatting link
about a -3dB beamwidth of about 90 degrees. This makes for a great parabolic dish feed but not what I would consider a great antenna.

If you're going to burn $50 for 8dBi ($6.25 per decibel), then you can do better with a panel antenna at $45 for 13dBi ($3.46/dB). See:

formatting link
$53 for 19dBi ($2.79/dB) is even a better deal.

If you like building antennas, a proper biquad antenna:

formatting link
get you 11dBi for perhaps $10 in parts.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi I doubt that under the condition described by you a regular Wireless would work (the booster/repeaters are solution to extract few feet here and there).

Basically 15000' might be achieved with clear line of sight and two good directional Antennae.

Since you do not have Line of Site you have to create one with Towers or Relay Stations.

In other words it can be done special expensive installation.

Look at the following pages it would explain the basic ideas of Bridging.

Extending Distance:

formatting link
Wireless Bridging:
formatting link
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Reply to
Jack

I think he meant "square feet".

Reply to
Rôgêr

I have a client who wants to be able to use his existing wireless network (Linksys 54G) from one end of his house to the other (HUGE HOME with PLENTY of barrier). We have tried putting in the Linksys Booster/Repeater, but it did NOT do anything at all.

Any suggestions to get Wireless to work this way? And please it must be wireless.

Reply to
KT

You will probably need to install a number of access points in various parts of the house and hardwire them together.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

Wow, I been looking at something like this...but here's a question. Based on that suggestion for Powerline networking or extending, does it require a PC dedicated for the powerline adapters? Or is it required just to configure them then you can turn of that machine you used to configure?

What I plan is this -

(1) Install an wireless access point/router to the cable modem (2) Install 2-3 powerline adapters (3) On the third powerline adapter (other end of the house), hang off the second wireless access point.

The main thing here is that hopefully that you do not need the machine to stay on (the one used to configure the powerline adapters). Can someone clarify this?

Reply to
Alan Wen

Reply to
Randy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.