Streaming Internet radio to home stereo

A friend currently plays Shoutcast radio music from a broadband Internet connection on a home audio system by means of a PC (running Winamp) with a long cable connected from the PC audio out jack to the home audio system. I'm looking for a low-cost solution to eliminate the cable using an existing

802.11g Wi-Fi WPA-PSK network. 802.11g (not 802.11b) with WPA-PSK is a requirement. Video (TV) is of no interest. I've come up with two different approaches:

1. Standalone Internet radio connecting to 802.11g network, either: a. Wired Internet radio with a Wi-Fi-Ethernet bridge/gaming adapter e.g., Slim Devices Squeezebox with Linksys WRT54G as client bridge, about 0 used. b. Wireless Internet radio that supports 802.11g with WPA. Haven't been able to find anything (affordable at least).

2. Media Adapter with PC as server, either: a. Wired Media Adapter with a Wi-Fi-Ethernet bridge/gaming adapter e.g., Hauppauge MediaMVP with Linksys WRT54G as client bridge, about 0 used. b. Wireless Media Adapter that supports 802.11g with WPA. Haven't been able to find anything affordable.

2.a seems to be the lowest cost solution. Have I missed anything less expensive?

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

I use 3 Squeeze Box 2's with Slim Server running on a headless 17W linux computer (Kurobox HG). I am very happy with the WPA-PSK G network performance streaming my FLAC files. Also Squeeze Network (don't need slim server running) is kick a@s. If you care about audio quality, go with Squeeze Box! Also SB has a bridge ethernet port so you can kook up you Tivo or ReplayTV.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Thanks for the feedback. Squeezebox 2 (or 3) looks to be just right for my needs, but at about $200+ is more money than I want to spend, which is why I'm thinking of rolling my own with used original wired Squeezebox and

802.11g-Ethernet bridge, or even cheaper used Hauppauge MediaMVP.
Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

Yes. Forget about using 802.11g for digitized audio and just use a one way wireless link for "broadcasting" the audio from the PC sound card. The easiest is to plug an FM transmitter into the line output jack of the sound card. The other end is an FM tuner set to an empty channel. Something like this.

formatting link
formatting link
I've also been tinkering with Bluetooth 2.0 for broadcasting stereo. It works well to a compatible headset, but I can't find a cheap dedicated receiver with conventional phono connectors that would fit into a hi-fi. These are a bit expensive, but methinks worth considering:
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
(cute)
formatting link
There are others... The nice part is that this method will allow a currently overprice Bluetooth stereo headset to play the music without involving the hi-fi.

Incidentally, Bluetooth 1.2 Class 2 will also work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

snip

itunes & apple airport express.

Reply to
nospam

(snip possibilities using 802.11)

Depends on how long the existing lead is.

You can buy short-range FM transmitters which let you rebroadcast stuff from a PC on the FM band (they plug into either the USB or line out socket). I have a feeling they're technically illegal in most countries [FM is a regulated band], but that doesn't stop many companies selling them as in-car units to let you listen to your MP3 player through the car stereo. Range /is/ short however - tens of feet at best.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Excellent alternative that I hadn't considered -- thanks!

Reply to
John Navas

I considered this, but rejected it due to (a) not wanting to have junk hanging off a laptop computer and (b) degraded audio/cost -- good FM transmitters aren't cheap.

900 MHz native -- only works on FM when you use both transmitter and receiver, further degrading audio and using a 2nd wireless link, plus too much junk.

SF150-c: Cheap, but limited range and mediocre audio.

Jensen WBT310 is about $75.

formatting link

Thanks -- I hadn't really considered Bluetooth, but I'll now check it out, although I'm concerned about possible interference with the existing 802.11g wireless, as well as sufficient range.

[p.s. Sorry about the email -- hit the wrong button.]
Reply to
John Navas

That won't interfere with the 802.11g network? I specified 802.11g in order to avoid interference by using the 802.11g network itself, with the added advantages of (a) not needing any extra hardware on the laptop PC and (b) no audio degradation (as in the case of FM modulation or digital with extra D-A and A-D conversions). Thanks to "nospam" I'll probably use an Apple Airport Express (slick product) with iTunes (slick software), which costs the same or less.

Reply to
John Navas

There is a raft of small audio/video transmitter/receiver units on 2.4 Ghz that are cheap and very good quality. Fed from a good soundcard and the quality is superb.

Peter

>
Reply to
Pierre

I use this

formatting link
PC/PPC home or travelling, excellent quality and, importantly, cheap. :) Much like me.

Reply to
Scrote

I'm personally not happy with the sound quality of cheap FM transmitters.

Reply to
John Navas

I'm happy to report that the Apple Airport Express is a terrific product that works wonderfully well! I have it installed as a slave on a wireless network with a Netgear 802.11g wireless router using WPA-PSK security, streaming digital audio (radio and stored music) from a computer with iTunes to a home theater system. Highly recommended!

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.