128 bit encryption with DLink 624M router

Hi,

This looks like the right newsgroup for this question, but please let me know if I should have posted it to a different one.

I have recently installed a Dlink DSL-624M router in a friend's house; it all works very well except that I could not get 128-bit encryption to work. I tried all the variations I could think of to no avail, and the same settings with 64-bit encryption work fine. Googling about and having a look in the DLink forums, I saw that one or two other people have had the same issue, but I couldn't find a solution. The wireless network adaptors are the inbuilt ones that come with the Dell Inspiron

630M, if that makes any difference.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use 128 bit encryption with this device?

Regards, Arfur

Reply to
Arfur Million
Loading thread data ...

To be precise a DSL-G624M, as in the following llink:

Many thanks for the quick response, I'll see if I can use WPA next time around his house.

Regards, Arfur

Reply to
Arfur Million

formatting link
Short

Thanks Frank, that does look promising.

Regards, Arfur

Reply to
Arfur Million

It isn't sold in the US, so isn't listed on

formatting link
but it can be seen on
formatting link
(as per Frank's link).

Regards, Arfur

Reply to
Arfur Million

you mean a DI-624M?

I had a nightmare with 128-bit encryption too (different h/w but same problem). I believe its to do with how the different manufacturers store the key (ascii, hex, numeric, spaces, dashes, etc etc). Despite trying two different routers and two different NICs, I never solved the problems.

In the end, I gave up and switched to WPA which worked perfectly. If you can do that, I'd recommend it. WEP is fairly poor anyway. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Have you updated the firmware? Long

formatting link
formatting link
WEP Encryption Modes. - Shared and Open Option.

Reply to
Frank

interesting - there's no such machine listed on DLink's website! Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Long:-

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Frank

that explains it, I was on the DLink US website. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.