Nortel VPN Client vs. DLink DI-624m wireless router

Hello all,

I really need some help here. I work from home periodically and connect to my company via Nortel Contivity VPN client. I try connecting via my home network which is ran by a DI-624m wireless router. When I try to connect, it just hangs at "Connecting to: (Hostname)." According to the documentation I have, my company uses IPSEC along with UDP (protocol 17), ESP (protocol 50), and AH (protocol

51). I feel like I have tried everything. I have surfed and surfed for answers. I read that it is impossible to authenticate since my company uses AH...then I read it was possible. I tried a solution in the D-Link support DB which had me go into my router and make several configuration changes: Enable IPSEC port 500 in virtual server list, add Nortel VPN on port 9550 with my PCs IP address in the virtual server listings, and disable IPSEC and PPTP under Tools and Misc. That did not work. I tried re-enabling IPSEC and PPTP and kept the other settings...that did not work. I had Nortel VPN Client V4.65 and downgraded to V4_15.14...that did not work. I disabled keep alives on the client, that did not work. I am at my wits end here and desperate to get this working. If anyone knows of a fix, please advise. If anyone knows for sure of a wireless home router by any vendor that will support this connection, please advise. Ironically, someone in my are has a Netgear router with no encryption. It comes and goes as the signal strength increases and decreases. I was able to connect to their network and connect to my VPN while on their network! So I know that it is possible with certain routers...I just don't know which one! I don't know who owns that Netgear router so I have no idea who else to ask or turn to. Please help!

Thanks for reading CS1

Reply to
CS1
Loading thread data ...

It's likely that your router is NATting outgoing VPN packets effectively killing the VPN connection. Many small routers have a 'VPN passthu' feature which prevents the problem. Check that.

Ray

Reply to
rcherry

Hi,

Did you get this fixed because I have a similar problem, with my Linksys WRT54GX-v2 wireless router, and, like you, have tried everything. From my point of view, putting the PC on the DMZ enables all ports to the PC. I also disabled the firewall completely, which achieves the same thing. I could not connect despite having done this, so all suggestions to enable this port or that port are pointless--it has nothing to do with which ports you open! It is obvioulsy a NAT problem of some description, but I have not been able to determine what it is.

I have Nortel client 5.01d and I found out that enabling the IPSec option does nothing. Enabling port 500 UDP in Port Forwarding does nothing. However! (and I think this is your current problem), enabling port 500 in the Port Triggering section of the router, does enable me to get past the "Connecting to host" stage. I then get connected to the VPN server, but it hangs on "Retrieving banner text". I would be interested to hear if my suggestion helps with your problem and if you get connected fully or if your client hangs on retrieving banner text.

Regards, Andrew

Reply to
finite9

I tried everything with the D-Link and could not get it to work. My fix: I went out and bought a Belkin router. Say what you want about it but it works like a charm for my VPN access and surprisingly..it has a lot of features. It was $60 at Walmart and well worth it to be able to work from home flawlessly.

Reply to
CS1

Dang. It could be the way Linksys has implemented IPSec in their router. I have a Netgear RP614 router as well and that has the same problem, so I suspect that maybe both of them, in trying to implement the IPSec thoroughly, have managed to break normal usage.

I really don't want the hassle with buying a new router. Looks like it's back to Linksys support.

-- Andrew

Reply to
finite9

I doubt they'll be able to help but good luck anyway!

Reply to
CS1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.