1.5 mile wireless setup question

I live on a ranch, and my house is about 300 feet from a rice dryer (about

100 feet tall). I have permission to put an antenna on the top of the structure, just to clear that up. I want to set up a wireless network/internet connection with a neighbor who is about 6200 feet away (point-to-point). My neighbor has the internet connection, and is up to the idea of sharing his bandwidth. I want to do this on a tight budget, so I am looking for recommendations on reasonably priced AP's/other equipment. I am looking at the 24DBi parabolic mesh antennas, and running short pigtails to the AP's, placing them in a weatherproof enclosure at each location. The antenna on my end has to be up at the top of the structure to overcome LOS issues, so it is not a possibility to put it closer to my home. I do not know how to connect my home to the wireless connection. I do have a clear LOS from the top of the dryer to my house. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Davis
Loading thread data ...

Not a big deal:

Look into a bridge that is rated at 100 mW. Make sure that it can stand up to the heat/cold of your area.

For the antennae, look into

formatting link
They have good prices, good equipment.

As far as the connection to your house, you could look into some outdoor ethernet cable.

Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

Reply to
Tim Davis

You're going overkill on the antenna, no need for a 24dbi parabolic on either end. Look on eBay for Tranzeo outdoor equipment, especially those that have the built in antenna. No pigtails to run, much less chance of moisture screwing things up. You could hit a mile and a half with 12 or

13dbi built in antennas on each end. All you'll need to run to the equipment is a standard Cat5 cable which is using POE (power over ethernet). Very simple, very reliable.

Go to the Tranzeo website for further info, ignore their suggested retail prices, can be had for much less.

Reply to
Rôgêr

The main question is the POE to the rice dryer. You could run plain old Cat5 to the rice dryer, maybe even higher up on it and then introduce the power over ethernet. POE doesn't work well for long distances. But I could see having this link up and running between breakfast and lunch and then go square dancing for a wild Tuesday evening.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.