VPN with WinProxy

I'm new to VPN, so please tolerate my stupidity

My central office configuration is the issue. I'm currently running WinProxy 6 on a two-NIC PC with 192.168.1.x as inside scheme. I'd like to configure a LAN-to-LAN VPN. Remote office side will be a D-Link DFL-200 as the one and only router at that site, so that should be easy enough. However, I do not know how to configure a DFL-200 at the central office with WinProxy. It can port forward TCP/UDP ports and do VPN passthrough but not sure that will help. I'm running gateway AntiVirus and SiteFiltering through WinProxy now and hate to give that up if I scrap WinProxy. Been told varying ports to forward to the DFL-200 by both WinProxy and D-Link tech support, so I'm confused. DFL-200 supports IPSec/PPTP/L2TP (server and client on PPTP and L2TP). Could/should I reconfigure DFL-200 as external router and change WinProxy PC to single-NIC with clients still looking to WinProxy as default gateway with only the WinProxy NIC settings pointing to DFL-200 as its default gateway? Would that still pass regular browser and email traffic through WinProxy for filtering and allow traffic to other (remote) LAN to bypass WinProxy to go out via VPN? Any help appreciated.

thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

I'll answer my own question for the next guy's benefit.

Found out my ISP could provide another external IP address for me, so I set up a small switch after my cable modem and from that go to the DFL-200 VPN router and also to the external NIC on the WinProxy PC. On those PCs/Servers that need to worry about the VPN (e.g. those that serve network shares) I set their default gateway to the VPN router. In order to still let WinProxy filter and do gateway AV, I changed the LAN Settings in IE's Connection tab to connect to the Internet via Proxy and pointed to the WinProxy internal NIC. If the PC doesn't care about the VPN, I left the default gateway pointing to the WinProxy internal NIC and WinProxy behaves transparently. This lets the DFL-200 do IPSec tunnels and be a PPTP server. It also lets WinProxy work. This way they're in parallel. Trying to do this as two routers in series was problematic.

Reply to
Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.