VPN blocks local network

I have a vpn from my work computer to the main office down the street. When i connect, i can no longer get to my local network.

How do i set it up so i have access to both networks (vpn and lcoal) at the same time?

Reply to
wwwc21
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

This is by design!

You should never have that.

Once your computer has an open VPN connection to your head office only your computer should be visible from the head office and your head office should only see your computer.

What You want is called "split tunneling" and is an absolute nono for security reasons...

Reply to
Martin Bodenstedt

What if you have 2 network cards? Can you see two networks that way?

Reply to
Russell Zager

Russell Zager schrieb:

Not if the vpn is implemented correctly.

Remember:

the isolation of the pc against your own lan while the tunnel is up is by design and a crucial security issue.

I as a network administrator have to make absolutely sure that a pc connecting to my lan from the outside (via vpn) does not work as a smokescreen for (potentially malicious) computers on that pc's lan and the only way to achieve this is to modify the PC's routing table in such a way as to make this pc an end node - no matter what else the pc is connected to physically...

Reply to
Martin Bodenstedt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.