Citrix, VPN, Remote Desktop and Wireless security

I'm going to be opening a doctor's office, with a computer system run off a server in the office. I'd like to be able to access the system remotely when I'm sitting at home, or even in a coffee shop through their wireless network.

I have 2 questions:

1) How do I best set up the access itself? I have been advised that the Windows remote desktop is the most economical approach to be able to get into my system, but I'm concerned that it might be slow. I've been advised to try GoToMyPC as well, but this would probably be slower than I'd like. Currently, I access the computer where I work using VPN and Citrix (they're both involved, but I don't understand which does what, or even what they are really). I was told that this would cost me about $5000 in my new practice, which might be more than I'd want to spend.

2) Is it possible to have security when sitting in a public place using an unsecured network? It seems to me that such a thing is possible if the system encrypts at the server and decrypts at my laptop and vice versa. That way anybody capturing my transmissions on the unsecured wireless network would just get encoded data. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks for any help you can provide. --Matt

Reply to
matthew.beckwith
Loading thread data ...

VPN using l2tp is the most secure option. RDP is very secure and by default XP/Windows 2000/2003 use strong encryption for the entire RDP session and if you are connecting to a Windows 2003 server with SP1 you can use RDP over SSL as described in the link below to further secure RDP. The reason I like l2tp so much is because both computer and user authentication are required in l2tp via a computer certificate installed on both the VPN server and VPN client and ipsec is used for encryption. With RDP anyone that can guess your password can connect to your RDP server. L2tp has problems with NAT however and a Windows 2003 VPN server can work with NAT-T. --- Steve

Reply to
Steven L Umbach

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.