What's typical "free" usage on a landline?

Over the last decade or so my wife and I have moved the bulk of our calls to our mobile phones. We've only used about $0.40 of long distance (by mistake) on our home phone in the past few years. We *still* have a landline though and I still give out that number often.

I recently moved all of our home phones to VoIP. Even calls to our landline get forwarded to a VoIP provider. This has been working well (but needs refinement).

In researching for this move I discovered that incoming and local outgoing calls are *not* "free". I've grown accustomed to not paying usage fees for my landline and even providers like VoicePulse offer "unlimited" incoming usage. I've learned that they don't/can't really do this; instead, they assume some typical usage and base their price on that. Go much over, and you'll get crosswise with them.

I'm curious how much people typically use their landlines for calls which don't incur an additional expense. I'd never thought about it or measured it so I don't have a good feel for it. In a month, if I parse my Asterisk log, I will start to get an idea of how much calling we do at home, but I don't think we're a typical household.

How much time does a "typical" household spend on "free" calls? Anyone else logging this?

Thank you.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.