What IP address does my Vonage box talk to?

I'd like to monitor Internet traffic to and from the address that Vonage uses to communicate with my Vonage device. What address do they talk to? Can I look into my RT31p2 and figure this out?

Chris cjtwantstoknow

Reply to
cjtwantstoknow
Loading thread data ...

Chris:

If you want to know that kind of information, you have signed with the wrong provider and have the wrong box. Vonage has an advertising campaign in which they stress "No Nerds Needed", in which they also should say: "If you are a nerd, go get your SIP service elsewhere". Vonage was designed for the general, more ignorant (and abundant) public.

Having said that, you may use any network sniffer, such as Ethereal to capture the packets that come from or go to the IP address of you box.

-Ramon

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera

Thanks Ramon.

The reason I need to know is that I need to determine the cause of me dropping phone calls. Sometimes, the downstream is ok but the upstream cuts out completely - the person on the other side hears a click.

I am running a ping monitor to see if there's any correlation but my sense is that there will not be any correlation. Other things that I will check is that the cables are well seated.

The Vonage router has been rebooted .

I need to find the cause for the interruptions between Vonage, Internet, and Comcast.

Chris

cjtwantstoknow

Reply to
cjtwantstoknow

For what is worth, I have a Sipura box and my ISP is Comcast, too. I am paying a few extra bucks a month to Comcast in order to get a dedicated IP for the SIP phone. That way I don't have to deal with NAT hell. My setting works perfectly.

Are your problem mostly with outbound calls, inbound or both?

Since Vonage forces their customers to purchase a castrated box, upon which you have no control, they should be the ones to diagnose and fix your problem.

In order to isolate the problem, you could run some tests with a free SIP provider:

formatting link
but to do that you need a SIP box that can be configured.

In short, Vonage "doesn't want you to know".

-Ramon

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera

If your using the Linksys RT31P2-VD the ip address of the router is

Reply to
Robert C. Martin

Let's see, Chris, you're talkin about to what IP adress your gateway sends signalling messages and RTP data when you're making a call thru Vonage?

I'm not a Vonage user though I know they use SIP, so all you have to do is to sniff the packets that go out from your gateway through the port

5060 each time you place a call.

They may use another port though its not likely, if you dont see anything, simply sniff all the UDP traffic coming and going through your gateway.

One last thing, the gateway will probably not send nor receive anything unless you place a call (well it may send REGISTER messages but those are every several mins) so while running the sniffer, place a call to make it send something.

I hope this is useful!

Regards Martin

Robert C. Mart> If your using the Linksys RT31P2-VD the ip address of the router is > 192.168.15.1.

Reply to
Martin E. Zulliger

Thanks! That's exactly what I did with Ethereal. Then I ran pingplotter to determine where packets were being dropped. It turned out that there were (and still are) problems at Vonage itself, along with a network hop hosted by Global Crossing in NY.

It seems that Vonage needs more points-of-presence for proxy servers on the Internet. VOIP is great, as long as there's enough capacity - apparently not the case with Vonage.

Chris

Mart> Let's see, Chris, you're talkin about to what IP adress your gateway

Reply to
cjtwantstoknow

Yeah, that is sadly something that happens with VoIP. Sometimes someone is playing with the routing tables and all your net goes down.

At my co we're looking for ways to make VoIP service as redundant as possible, playing with several proxies and DNSs, but the nature of VoIP make it difficult to achive real redundancy. For example if your net goes down, your clients may be able to place new calls using a secondary proxy but many of the calls which were in progress on the first proxy will be interrupted. An alternative is IPV6 but we're still testing that one.

Capacity in VoIP is kinda a synomym of bandwidth, if you have bandwidth, you have (almost) all you need, since the hardware requeriments are usually minimum (well unless you're doing DSP for audio compressing or something like that).

Anyway to work in VoIP is really fun, and it is obviously the future of the voice communications over the world.

We're going to release to the OSS community something we think will be useful to a lot of VoIP enthusiasts (like us); a way to bring VoIP to high level programming languages like Java and Python using XML (we're already using it for routing our traffic).

Well its enough of my philosophy, Im sure Im becoming boring :)

Mart> Thanks! That's exactly what I did with Ethereal. Then I ran

Reply to
Martin E. Zulliger

Hey Chris, or anyone else who wants to answer...Does the Linksys 4 port router (I use one) permit some kind of port-monitor? Some router/ switch manufacturers might use a different name for it...but, what I'm asking is: how do u setup Etherreal to "bridge" the port you want to monitor? I remember one of the Nortel switches allowed you to specify what port you want to monitor, and all traffic on that port in both directions [I think] got fwd'd to your port (that PC is connected to).

Zeng

Reply to
noone

Zeng,

I simply connected a hub between the router and the modem. This configuration showed all the traffic - I don't believe that there's a way to monitor a specific port. Within Ethereal, you can figure out which packets belong to VOIP and then define a filter designed to keep only those packets that are of interest to you.

Chris

Reply to
cjtwantstoknow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.