QOS on Cisco 1721 for Vonage VoIP -- Where do I start?

I've got a 1721 as my router with 12.3 ios. It's plugged into a sonicwall TZ170. I have the linksys RT31P2 Vonage provided plugged into a lan port on the TZ170 giving it an IP of 192.168.20.8. My "real" phones are plugged into the phone ports on the Linksys.

The default gateway of the Linksys router is the sonicwall WAN IP, which in turn has the 1721 as it's default gateway.

Now, what I want to do is to use Qos so that when I'm banging away on the network, VoIP traffic from the linksys (which, btw, is the only traffic that will come from that device) will be prioritised for both download and upload (if possible). I'd like to guarantee say 90-100k of bandwidth in both directions.

The problem is I have very limited understanding of Qos on cisco, and consequently don't know what options exist in order to prioritise traffic. Simply using Qos on the linksys obviously won't work because it is competing with traffic going to the 1721 which is out of its control.

I see from the connection monitor on the firewall that the Linksys is constantly making UDP connections on port 137 to the Vonage servers (a set of IPs I could define).

I feel the easiest way to do this would be to instruct the 1721 that all traffic either destined to 192.168.20.8 (linksys) or coming from it, would be prioritised. I am not sure whether it is possible for the

1721 to "know" where in fact that traffic is heading, given the nating on the firewall and what not. But it seems to me this option would be the cleanest.

Another option might be to just flat out prioritise traffic from the Vonage IPs or for 137 UDP traffic.

So, really, two questions:

1. Which approach (or another maybe that I haven't listed) is the best?
  2. Given an answer to (1), how might I go about implementing it.

Cheers

Reply to
jbreg
Loading thread data ...

You may wish to investigate the Linksys Live 24-Hour Support Help Desk:

formatting link
Cisco 1700 Series Solution Design Tool:

formatting link
Cisco Quality of Service ( QoS ) Introduction:

formatting link
Cisco IOS Software Support Resources:

formatting link
Hope this helps,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Yes, but first I really need some methodological help--which approach do yout think I should pursue?

Reply to
jbreg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.