Linksys RT31P2 is restricted to Vonage.

I read about the RT31P2

formatting link
based on the Sipura SPA-2000 and ran out to get one. Well, it doesn't matter how good it is because it's locked. ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/rt31p2_ug.pdf

Access to the Voice tab is restricted by Vonage. Contact Vonage for more information. Bummer. I was really looking forward to using a few of them.

This is begging to be cracked but I don't have the patience. Back it goes.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird
Loading thread data ...

You might be able to have them unlock it -- They'll unlock the Cisco units for $10-$15 if you ask nicely.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

I called Vonage customer support. I was told to call technical support at +1 866 243 4357, x3. I called them...and waited.

I spoke with Rena(? - Indian, I assume) at technical support. He said that if I activate an RT31P2 with Vonage then I'm locked in to only using Vonage. I said that the manual (and setup page) indicate that if even if it's not activated I can still only use Vonage. I again asked if I could pay for my unit to be unlocked. He answered that there is no way for Vonage to provide that and suggested I ask Linksys.

I tried Linksys product support at +1 800 326-7114, x1,7. I explained that I'd like to use the RT31P2 with my own SIP system and asked if it can be unlocked. After a long hold, I was transfered (up?) to Team Leader Dave who transfered me once again to a "technician handling this specific request."

Jenny at second level support said that there is no way to unlock the device and that it is manufactured only for Vonage. I asked if they'll be offering similar general-purpose hardware and got a very coy "maybe".

So...although I'd snatch up several of these boxes if I could just have control of them, it looks like I'll have to stick with Sipura devices.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.