voip with efax

will efax work with voip?

i.e. can someone send a fax to my voip fax line and then if I have my voip line forwarded to my efax number will it work?

right now i use efax for incoming and outgoing faxes. my understanding is that voip will work with traditional fax machines, but then i will have paper faxes again instead of electronic faxes that i now get with efax. i really dont want to go from paperless back to paper again just so i can have voip.

Reply to
anonymous
Loading thread data ...

So why not just give out your efax number?

But yes, you can forward your phone number to efax and it will quite possibly work. It will be bypassing the equipment in your home entirely.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

I don't understand, why would you want to forward your VoIP line to an efax number..?

VoIP and fax can work, but it depends on the codec used. Some work better than others. If I were you I'd forget about VoIP for fax use and just continue to use your existing efax number. Use VoIP for phone calls.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

there are no efax numbers available in my area code (even with the paid account), so my efax number is in NY while i am in CA. So i give customers a verizon fax number in my area and then forward it to the efax number. This way its a local call for them and i receive the document in efax. I've been doing this for several years now.

Reply to
anonymous

I've had very limited success experimenting with that (using other providers but essentially he same thing). It certainly should be possible but it's a matter of getting a good codec (and doing "reinvites", etc.).

I'm hoping to get one of my Asterisk boxes configured to handle faxes sometday...

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

I have greatly improved fax speed by configuring my fax modem for Class 2 operation. Less "training" before the faxing begins. Class 1 seems to always cut doen fax speed from 14,400 to 7200. Class 2 transmits at 14,400 about 70% of the time, at 12,200 20% of the time, and 9600 10% of the time.

If your fax modem is capable of Class 2 operation, definitely use it in that mode. Otherwise, consider buying a new modem. They're dirt cheap these days.

Reply to
Jeremy

I used e-fax with my SunRocket service for awhile until I set it up so that it would work with my all-in-one HP. e-fax does work pretty well with most of these VoIP providers.

Reply to
ukcats4218016

I depends.

I'm doing just that with great results, but if my SIP-provider would forward the call via a low-bandwidth codec it wouldn't work.

/Henning

Reply to
Henning Wangerin

Don't even know what it would be called. Someone needs to have access to

2 phone lines from another site for a few months. Given the track record of the phone company around here it could take them that long to deal with the move.

Is there a pair of boxes that will allow us to plug into the POTS jacks at the original site and "relay" the POTS across a broadband connection to the new site were we'd have 2 RJ-11 jacks to use to access the POTS service at the original site?

Thank You

Reply to
David Ross

Reply to
David Ross

Sipura SPA-3000 at the end where the POTS jack is (one per POTS line, unfortunately), and then almost any SIP ATA at the remote end.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.