VoIP: impossible??

dear friends, this morning i spoke with the customer care of an italian ISP in order to collect info about the VoIP: they said that to let me call through the VoIP, i need to "buy" a new service.

Actually, i've a DSL line (1,280 Mbps) 24h/24h: do i really need to buy this added service?

Some friend of my, just said that all i ned is to buy a VoIP telephone: is that correct?

thank you in advance

robert

Reply to
Robert
Loading thread data ...

In most cases you need an additional service on top of DSL.

You can make direkt PC to PC calls just with this line without any contract or provider. But then your counterpart has to "dial" your IP-number and vice versa, which is not convenient.

So you should subscribe for a IP-Phone "Service". To be reachable over the internet you can use such a service without cost. Look for example for like2fone.com. Then you can reach most of the Internet phones directly without additional cost. There should be lots of these services even in Italy. Otherwise use a german, english ... one.

In some cases you can be reachable via an italian phone number FROM any normal phone. This service CAN be free (then in most cases calling "through" via a public phone number of your provider). But there can be a fee of say 2 or 3 Euro per month for that. Then you should get a normal "local" phone number.

If you want to CALL fixed phone lines you have to pay for the minutes. (Only 800-numbers could be reached free.) So in this case you always need to "buy" a new service. This may have a low monthly fee in addition to the minutes. A minute should be between 1 and 3 cent for calling Italy, EU Countries and the US.

Even that is not necessary. All you need is a computer,headset and a "softphone". A good one is SJphone. Google for it.

But a VoIP phone (Grandstream 100, Allnet 7950 ....) is more convenient because it is always on. No PC needed.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Barth

Robert wrote in news:5RCZd.659351$b5.30049430 @news3.tin.it:

In otherwords, the ISP also offers VoIP. You can get VoIP from your provider or a 3rd party.

That's enough bandwidth for VoIP... you can use your provider's service or get a 3rd party service such as Vonage, Lingo, Skype, etc.

Yes this method works too : )

Reply to
Lucas Tam

R> they said that to let me call through the VoIP, i need > to "buy" a new service.

LT> In otherwords, the ISP also offers VoIP.

Perhaps they were just trying to sell him a static IP address though.

Robert: how did they describe the new service that they wanted you to buy?

- Andy Ball

Reply to
Andy Ball

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.