rent telephone adapter?

Thanks. Yes, most of my phones are cordless and have very low RENs except for the fax machine. Two already have the ringers turned off, so I think I will be well below the 5REN specified in the ATA's documentation.

Reply to
Vox Humana
Loading thread data ...

That will depend on the software of TA and the VOIP service provider.

Reply to
Yaser Doleh

That makes sense. The virtual numbers would all go to one actual physical connection and ring on the same phone. Since the ATA has two phone jacks, I assume that I could have one line assigned to each jack and theoretically carry on two simultaneous conversations, and perhaps conference the two lines. Does that seem right?

Reply to
Vox Humana
[snip]

I don't know of an ATA that will allow conferencing of the two phone ports. However a 2-line phone such as the BT Converse 2025 will do this.

See

formatting link

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Yes. I was thinking about using a 2 line phone to conference the lines. It's really not something that I would do often, but if I had the capability, I might use it. Looking at the Linksys PAP2 ATA, the documentations say that unique numbers can be assigned to each phone jack. Never having dealt with this, it is hard to understand exactly what you can and can't do. What really pisses me off is that the ATAs are locked to a particular VOIP provider. I think if I purchase a device, it should be useable on any compatible service. I can't imagine that this won't be challenged. It in no different than when the phone company compelled you to buy (or lease) equipment exclusively from them.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.