intel 537 winmodem

I have install Asterisk @ Home on computer I wasn't using. It seems as if asterisk detects the modem. I would like to have the asterisk box answer my home phone and transfer to the correct user of the soft phone. I'm planning on buying some Voip wireless phones, but would like to get the Asterisk box working with the soft phones(X-Ten) first. I can call from one extension to another, but when I dial 9,and my cell number ( to see if it will call out) it says all circuits are busy. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the intel 537 winmodem that everyone says will work, but its not. please help.

Reply to
bailey1396
Loading thread data ...

i dont get it. u tried to make a call to ur cell phone through SIP protocol? aint it suppose to go through the PSTN line? (then ur PSTN operator connect to the GSM/CDMA network?)

Reply to
valentino.rossi.85

well I want to be able to dial 9 and then any local number to call someone from my home phone. Cell phone was just a test!!! And when someone call my home I would like for the Asterisk server to answer the call, the person call can enter the number to whom the person they wish to talk to.

is it possable? Without buying a high priced card?

Reply to
bailey1396

well I want to be able to dial 9 and then any local number to call someone from my home phone. Cell phone was just a test!!! And when someone call my home I would like for the Asterisk server to answer the call, the person call can enter the number to whom the person they wish to talk to.

is it possable? Without buying a high priced card?

Reply to
bailey1396

You dont need a high priced card, you can buy a $10 - $15 FXO card, you can find them on ebay now. Digium discontinued the single port FXO Card and started selling the $100+ single port Modular card now. The modular card can carry 4 modules so you can mix and match FXO and FXS modules.

FXS - You can plug Analog Telephone Handsets into these FXO - Use this for connecting to your plain old telephone service.

What kind of phone did you want to use locally? Softphone? IP Phone?

-sx

IM: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Reply to
shido xavier

Thats what I did. I have a Sipura SPA-3000 forward the POTS calls to asterisk. From there, you could route the call to any SIP or analog phone. Given that the SPA-3000 costs about the same as the official asterisk card, I figured it was a less risky proposition with getting the device drivers to work, etc. The SPA-3000 speaks standard SIP and asterisk has no trouble interfacing.

Now, be warned, the analog phone lines coming into your house are a cesspool of echos. The ear normally can ignore this echo because it has a very low-delay time. Effectively the ear's innate echo canceling is only good for a very small number of milliseconds. When you add a few tens of milliseconds of VOIP delay to the equation the echo is no longer canceled and becomes very irritating. Effectively I stopped allowing pots calls to be routed to extensions. I just allow the incoming analog line to go to one of several voice mailboxes.

To talk to folks over the PSTN I get digital DID's from ipkall and teliax. The former is free, but sometimes has bad voice quality. The latter costs 2cents/minute, but so far has had much better quality.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

But, didn't Bob Smith (

formatting link
) use a Intel 537 modem and Asterisk for an Answering Machine. Isn't the Intel 537 chipset just the old Wildcard X100P FXO cards? I want to use the Xten Lite PC-based soft Phones for the computers, but I plan on getting some wireless IP phones once this works out.

Reply to
bailey1396

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.