Help! How do I cheaply get voice going in to my Asterisk box?

Hi,

I hope you guys can help me. I've recently embarked upon setting up an Asterisk box after reading this article:

formatting link
I have bought the Digium Wildcard X100P FXO card which takes care of connecting the Asterisk box to my analog phone line, but it doesn't help me in terms of getting a real (hard) phone connected to the Asterisk system.

I've done a lot of reading so far, and as far as I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong) I need one of the following:

• ATA box
  • FXP card
  • Hard phone

At the moment I have a cordless analog phone at home, and this is what I would like to use ultimately (rather than a soft phone). I don't mind buying a different cordless phone if I need to get one that supports VoIP, but I would like to do this reasonably cheaply and end up with a reasonable phone.

This has made me think that getting an ATA box or FXP card would probably be the best thing to do as I could then plug in a reasonably good cheap normal analog wireless phone. The problem is though, that although the X100P was quite cheap I can't find anything cheap to do this.

Could someone please help me?

I live in the UK if that has any bearing on the stuff I might need to buy.

Thanks

-Rob

Reply to
Robert Hulme
Loading thread data ...

[snip].
[snip]

The W100P card is an FXO only card, you should have looked at the TDM400P which will give you 4 options for FXO or FXS modules.

BT [ FXO - Asterisk - FXS ] Hardphone

The other reason for choosing the TDM400P is that the W100P do not support BT CallerID without a special patch that is not supported by Digium.

formatting link
/Soren

Reply to
Soren Rathje

FX_S_ card

It appears you know of "soft phones" too. I've had some success with iaxComm.

formatting link
's useful for experimenting (and adding friends easily).

I think you'll want to stick with an analog cordless phone and an ATA for now. The wireless VoIP phones I've seen so far have at least one huge shortcoming (often price).

I'd go (and have gone) with a Sipura SPA-3000. It's both an FXO and an FXS with some handy features between the two. It's been *so* much better for me than all of the Digium stuff I've bought.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

What if you want an ISDN card? Is there aimple card to do this? Or should I go for ISDN4linux?

Reply to
ch212

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.