Experiences with Vonage?

I'm considering getting this so I can reduce my cell phone minutes/reliance. Anyone had any experience with Vonage. Are they pretty reliable? I know not 911-reliable, but reliable enough to use as an incoming/outgoing phone for normal calls?

How does the voicemail over Internet functionality work?

Preston

Reply to
Preston Crawford
Loading thread data ...

Vonage is as reliable as your cable connection, or your electric service; trouble with either affects Vonage service.

Voicemail sends the .wav file to your email addy. The function works, but I do not use it, simply because I don't need it. Check the features list; you can also forward calls, or ring a second number. (see "ring lists")

I have found Vonage to be reliable, with excellent sound quality. I currently have my modem at a remote location, and use the softphone for my home location. I use the SJ softphone with excellent results.

Drop me an email--- I'll send an electronic coupon for a months free service.

Pepperoni

Reply to
Pepperoni

If you'd asked me a few months ago, I would have said they're great. More recently, the sound quality has deteriorated a lot when the net is at all busy. Oddly, people say they can hear me fine even when they're so garbled I can't understand them. My conenction is a T1 which is not particularly heavily loaded, so I don't think it's at this end.

Reply to
John R. Levine

I currently use a similar system called call vantage from at&t. I get

my internet from my local cable company and they are affiliated with

comcast. I ran RG-11 from the pedestal to the house and into the house

to a switching station. [image:

formatting link
All the phone lines tie into one and that plugs into the telephone

adapter. I save about 20 bucks a month with this system and love it.

Its got a lot of neat features that you dont get with the local telco

company.

INCLUDED FEATURES

• Conference Calling
  • Voicemail
  • Call Log
  • Phone Book
  • Locate Me
  • Speed Dial
  • Do Not Disturb
  • 3-Way Calling
  • Emergency 911 Dialing
  • Call Forwarding
  • Call Waiting
  • Caller ID
  • Safe Forward Number
  • Fax and Modem Support
Reply to
CBUM

What's changed on your end? Has your internet connectivity been "split" via a HUB?

Reply to
Mitel Lurker <wdg

Nothing's changed at my end. My Internet connection is a T1 that runs the three blocks from my house to the router at the phone company's central office, and they're connected to Sprint. The router and the ATA connect via an Ethernet switch.

The Vonage ATA has a static IP address, 208.31.42.46. Feel free to ping it a few times and see if you see anything strange.

Reply to
John R. Levine

Have you tried TestYourVoIP?

formatting link

Reply to
p

All I can say is so far so good. A lot of features and the so far the quality is very good. One day I had three PCs connected to internet, was on the phone (Vonage of course), and a remote control to one of the PCs from a remote location was in progress -- and all performed.

Reply to
TomD

Whenever that happens, is the other party on a wireless phone? Certain wireless compression algorithms do not "work well" with the compression algorithms used on VoIP. - RM

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.