Asterisk PBX on Ethernet

Hi Doug, thank you for answering.

So there are two ways:

1) it is possible to build a custom LAN for voice data with a ethernet card connected to PBX and a dedicated hub/switch 2) use my office ethernet LAN used for data and also for VoIP data (mixed)

I looked for a BRI ISDN digium card but I haven't found any, a real pity. There are only some junghanns card but I don't know them....are they good as digium??

Thanks again.

DummyBoy

Reply to
DummyBoy
Loading thread data ...

Sure.

Sure.

Don't know.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Absolutely! But it's a more expensive way to do it.

Sure, you can do this too, but what *many* folks do is set up a completely switched network and put the phones on a separate VLAN. This lets you segregate the VoIP traffic from the regular data trafic. You obviously need an ethernet switch that supports VLAN's and QoS, not some $100 item from Best Buy. You can also do things with Quality of Service (QoS) which would give the VoIP packets a higher priority when there is congestion on the network. These two steps make for a better VoIP experience for the users.

Remember, the end users are going to expect the new VoIP system to be at least as good or better than whatever it's replacing. Analog and Digital PBX's are very reliable devices. Make sure your new VoIP system is as reliable.

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.