Asterisk as an IVR system?

I would like to hear opinions on the merits of implementing an IVR system using Asterisk. My initial IVR won't have a lot of traffic, so it will not need any extra hardware, but that can be added later on.

My real concern is the programmability. Can Asterisk implement a real like IVR with many options, loops (3 strikes you're out), subroutines, collecting a certain number of digits, etc.? Additionally, I will need to perform database lookups while the caller is waiting and exec some external Unix program to send a fax or e-mail.

Is Asterisk up to the task?

Thanks for sharing your insight in this matter.

-Ramon F Herrera

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera
Loading thread data ...

I guess I should have started with this question: Can anyone please point me to documentation specific for IVR on Asterisk?

-Ramon

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera

It can -- but the question is: Is it stable enough, or does it offer enough "power" to handle it?

Maybe this will give an insight about the pros and cons of Asterisk

formatting link

Reply to
Frans Keijer

Ehhh :

formatting link
-> type 'Asterisk IVR' -> press 'Search'

Results 1 - 10 of about 38,100 for asterisk ivr. (0.21 seconds)

Among others:

formatting link
Arnold.

Reply to
Arnold Ligtvoet

Opinion: I would say this is one of the areas where asterisk shines. The question of stability and reliability will depend a lot on what POTS hardware you use, line quality, country and PSTN standards.

The main caveat I'd offer is that one shouldn't underestimate the time and effort spent getting the system running the way you want with the right hardware and version and using a minimum of add on and other software running on the same box. I had an experimental IVR running (with "3 strikes" as you mention) in the first weeks I set it up. My current system has been running for 15 months, running on a P-II 800M with 512Megs RAM. I've had to restart about three times to recover dialtone on the FXS card.

You'll also want a decent UPS and if this box will be mission critical, swap in replacement hardware.

The rest is in googling for the many disparate sites about asterisk IVR, reading voip-info.org wiki web pages, the asterisk mailing list, dslreports and voip sites in general.

hth

Reply to
BlueRinse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.