x-10

I have a customer that is wanting x-10 in his home. His house is approx

10,000 ft. He has 5 electrical panels. Will x-10 be able to send the commands throughout the entire house?

Thank you Jimmy Dale Reeves Elite Security, LLC

Reply to
Jimmy Dale Reeves
Loading thread data ...

maybe, sometimes.

Reply to
joe

If it is all phased the same. Maybe he need an electrician

Reply to
Rich

You're going to need a coupler/repeater - X-10 Pro model "XPCR". This is recommended for homes over 5000 square feet. It also happens to be a signal amplifier.

Reply to
Frank Olson

You'll need to provide a lot more information than that. How much X10?

What kind of devices? How many of each kind of device? What does he want to control? If there is more than just a few items, you can expect to spend a few hundred dollars or more, just to prepare and set the homes wiring up to properly send and receive X10 signals more reliably.

Although I could likely help you get started, I'd suggest that you will get much more detailed help from a Home automation newsgroup than an alarm newsgroup if your project is of any size. There are some people in this group that can direct you to another group that is mentioned occasionally here.

I'll be away for a week or so, so I don't want to start a thread with you and then leave you stranded.

Reply to
Jim

I'd recommend not going with X-10 in this situation. I don't have a bunch of X-10 experience but my experience has been that it just doesn't expand well. Control a few things, fine. Expect it to be robust, problems come a plenty. However, maybe others with a lot of X-10 experience know the tricks and will say otherwise. I use it to control a handful of lights using the output of my Ademco panel and that is fine, but when I tried computer control and remote control, things just didn't stay reliable. Signal collisions caused lights to stay on occasionally and the X-10 remotes just weren't worth it. If you do decide to go ahead with it, I'd let the customer know that it may not be bulletproof. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Reply to
autonut843

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.