Small 48 VDC UPS?

Use google and search on the words "lorain power". You'll probably come across not just Lorain equipment, but distributors that have other brands too.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson
Loading thread data ...

Our plant is entirely AC, with DC only in the large equipment control system cabinets and not distributed anywhere. We are installing some small telecom equipment at various locations around the plant that wants 48 volt DC input. Our current solution is to plug a small APC or similar UPS to domestic power, then run the output from that to a

120VAC-to-48VDC converter on mounting rails. This is a bit messy and results in a lot of unneeded terminations and safety requirements.

Does any of the big UPS manufacturers make a small desktop or rack mount unit (by small I mean < 500 watts) that takes 120VAC input and provides 48VDC output on a telecomm connector? I haven't been able to find any at APC, Liebert, or Tripplite, but it seems such a thing should exist.

Thanks.

sPh

Reply to
sphealey

They have a very nice little 1.5 KVA standalone unit with an internal battery (7 mins at full load and 18 minutes at half load), and a 2.0 KVA model that is rack mount with external batteries.

formatting link
If you want reliablility, that is *the* way to go.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Been there, but I haven't found anything less than 10,000 watts / 12U. Those distributors do have some nice 100,000W and above systems though ;-)

sPh

Reply to
sphealey

Decades back; A friend worked there and designed many of those style units. He once joked about a specialized 9vdc @ 5000A or so unit -- he wanted mile long bus-bars with periodic transistor-battery snaps on it so he could recharge many thousands at once...

Reply to
David Lesher

Try APC's DC Power System, model IWS200A54/FLL, 52-56 V, 7.5A, 400W. Used extensively, here, to power channel banks etc by non-Bell (can't remember the right term) who bring in voice/data on T1s. made in Galway, Ireland, if you can believe.

TerryS

Reply to
TerryS

Thanks! I thought that such a device had to exist, but extensive searching on the APC web site turned up nothing.

For reference, it is called the WS200 in the North American market and is a special-order only item.

sPh

Reply to
sphealey

Its on the way to the trash can if they don't pick it up soon !

TerryS

Reply to
TerryS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.