Q About Directory Assistance Abuse and Control

We have a large phone bill in our college district and assuming that a Centrex phone line might cost us $17 a month, and a DA call costs $1.75 per call, it's easy to see that 1 or two of these per month could add ten or twenty percent to our phone bill. So recently when we found that DA calls were costing us a significant amount per month, we had it disabled.

Well, some weasels in some departments got around that by calling 0 for operator, and having him/her forward the call to directory assistance! Well, this caused great dismay and consternation with my supervisor, and he resorted to calling the offenders and lecturing them about it. Some of the offenders claimed it wasn't them, and we can't prove it because all we know is that the DA call was made from the offender's phone, but not by the offender himself or herself. And the offender may be telling the truth, others may be doing the abuse.

Last month there was a trickle of DA calls, so it's somewhat under control, but I was wondering if anyone had further advice to offer. We're in Pac Bell / SBC land, if that's any help. Our BPX doesn't offer any feature to filter calls, all of that is with the Centrex line, and with SBC.

One thought I had was to put some monitor on the offender's line that would record the numbers dialed, assuming that the DA call would be quickly followed by the caller dialing the number DA gave. A few years ago we had one of those Radio Scrap line monitors that we put on a line for some legal purpose, and it printed out on a cash register tape for a month or so. I don't know what happened to that gizmo, but it would be nice if a more up-to-date model had a serial port and saved all the information to memory, and could be plugged into the PC and downloaded. Any ideas? Thanks.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

formatting link
email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
formatting link
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:
formatting link

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th
Loading thread data ...

There are any number of devices that can be added to abused phones or to your PBX. My company makes such products, but doesn't the Centrex system already have that ability built in? That is my recollection anyway. Just have the telecom manager set up the monitor for what are suspicious calls (dial 0, after hours, 900). The monitor can immediately notify someone that such a call is in progress and you can go see who it is and if the call is valid. It sure stops abuse quickly.

The recording on a line is good too. Record the whole conversation. A simple playback will let you know what transpired. You may need to check on the rules regarding recording calls.

David

Reply to
David

If you're in an area where you have access to a CLEC by the name of Broadwing Communications (formerly FOCAL), you can contact them and make arrangements to route all of your DA calls to them.

First of all they only charge 35¢ per DA call with no volume minimum Secondly, they do not offer call completion service for DA calls Thirdly, if you route your toll free (1-800/888/877/866) calls to them they will rebate you 5¢ per call.

The down side is that you will need a PRI T1 to them. I've been using them for 5+ years and have been very pleased with the results. My users also have no complaints about the grade of service. It's excellent.

Reply to
wdg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.