Good Reason to Worry About Roof Leaks

This winter I've had three outages caused by water leaking into the bldg and causing the jacks to corrode to the point of total damage. That's more than I've had in a decade at work. No problem replacing a few dollar jack. But with the near record setting rains we had, these kinds of problems should have been taken care of if roofs and exteriors had been maintained better.

But it didn't occur to me that things could've been much worse if more water had leaked until I read this article. Of course the rain water isn't as potent as urine..

formatting link

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

formatting link
email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
formatting link
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:
formatting link

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th
Loading thread data ...

I've had two similar situations. In one case a building lost power over a long winter holiday weekend. The fire sprinkler pipes burst and water poured over the KSU before re-freezing. I was dispatched to system down and found a KSU encased in 10'high block of ice. The customer acted surprised when I told them there was nothing I was going to be able to do for them until the block of ice thawed so I could get the KSU off the wall to replace it. They couldn't understand why I couldn't make it work in that condition.

In the second case a sewer pipe had burst immediately over the top of the KSU. I responded in the same day, but already there was corrosion forming on the KSU. Additionally I didn't want to touch anything, not knowing what was in the sewage. The customer was angry that the only course of action I could recommend was replacing the cabinet.

To paraphrase Dr. McCoy: "Dammit Jim, I'm a phone technician, not a miracle worker!"

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

Holy Moly! A 10' block of ice! We don't have that cold weather here, but one fire chief told us that the really stupid thing they did when they built the bldg was to put sprinklers in the computer rooms, when they were all protected with halon (actually FMS-200). If a sprinkler ever leaked, there goes a lot of expensive high tech equipment.

As for the sewage, I would've told them that it was unsanitary to work on, until all the sewage was abated and everything checked for sanitary conditions. And I'd require a document in writing saying so.

Right now, I have a several hundred pair MPOE that's located in a room with a costodial sink, washer, dryer, and various wet mops at times. I'm having corrosion problems not just from those, but from humidity that comes out of the conduits. I wich it could be moved because it's so small. But I think the only thing that I'll probably be able to do is get it walled off from the rest of the room.

Reply to

Hey! That's a brilliant thought. The rain probably has a high concentration of acid from the pollution, smog, etc. And that would explain why the damage is so total to the jack. I found that the two center gold plated wires were completely gone, replaced with a pile of black corrosion.

Reply to

Well, if you are in a part of the country that suffers from acid rains, you may find that it's only slightly less potent than a Japanese kitten's urine ;-)

##-----------------------------------------------##

Delivered via

formatting link
formatting link
no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.telecom.tech,comp.dcom.cabling - messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
telecom-gear.com

In article , Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover" writes

Any salts, or solubles, in the water will increase its' conductivity.. Presumably your centre pair is carrying 'phone signal, hence has a potential on it? - One slight 'hole' in the plating, and you have bi- metallic corrosion. The metal would also tend to migrate to the cathode, just like electro-plating. Phil Partridge snipped-for-privacy@pebbleGRIT.demon.co.uk Remove the grit to reply

Reply to
Phil Partridge

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.