odd question about manholes and innercity fiber conduits

Not sure where to start with this, but here goes.

My company is in the telecom business, but we are not a CLEC. Primarily hosting and colocation. We want to get into the metro ethernet market and we want to get our hands dirty. i.e. I dont want to pay everyone else to do things that are simple.

But there is a big barrier that I dont know how to cross.

Consider this case. Our POP is in a building in center city Philadelphia. Right down the street, literally one block is an office building which many potential customers. If I could run my own fiber cable from my POP to that building, I could offer Layer2 ethernet services and internet access to those customers. Bypassing verizon, local loops, etc.,. Now every street in Phila has sewer and manholes for running fiber, and since I would be doing short running, there would be no repeaters, just raw fiber cable.

But how does one do this? Does verizon own the rights to those manholes? Does it go through the city? How do people like Sunesys do it? I know my engineers and facilities guys could easily run that fiber themselves in that manhole.

I would really like to learn how this works. We are in the heart of the Phila downtown markets, with direct fiber to a handfull of buildings, we can service alot of customers. Once we get into the building, its easy.

thanks john

Reply to
essenz
Loading thread data ...

Talk to the power company. They'll let you run fiber in their ducts if you have an easement with them. They'll probably want a cut but you don't get something for nothing.

Reply to
T

John, if yiur guys arn't trained to go down holes forget about sending them in, the responsible authority ain't gonna let them down there. Therers too many asphixiation deaths of *trained* people every year, never mind un-trained.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

When you say "sewer manholes" are you referring to underground structures in general or specifically to the city sewer system?

The sewer system is owned and operated by the city government. I am not aware of its sewer pipes being used to carry communication conduits. During a heavy storm the sewer pipes get flooded so your lines would be surrounded by rushing water. You would need to install and maintain the lines in a sewer which is not exactly pleasant working conditions.

There are other underground facilities but AFAIK they are owned, operated, and restricted for use by the particular company. Some facilities downtown might have different uses, such as power conduits owned by PRT/PTC for streetcars that no longer run or telegraph lines by Western Union.

You would have to check with each pipe owner to see if there is even room for your lines, whether they would allow it, and how much they would charge you for the privilege. Or you could look into the option of digging your own line (which is what all the other companies had to do.)

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.