360 degree video real time... interested?

I have developed product to fit on cams such as x10 [or any other] that caputures and displays realtime 360 video.

Reply to
z
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Start]

Link Shows ... large room |vs|. window alcove hands wrapped around freebie visio web camera uploaded motion detected sequence low resolution...

real time video on pc only; web streaming in the works;

Reply to
z

Got a demo site where it can be seen in action?

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Invention details are confidential of course...for now.

I will tell you that it will be cheap as sh_t! and easy for profit margins. How can I contact venture capital personage.

I emailed and called x10..no response! Marketing is crazy hell; what happened to the tech boom..

I am hoping there is a Miracle Angel investor. Pass the word...

maybe start protest emails to x10.or other likely video icons.

Reply to
z

invention details confidential I will say it is cheap to make!

need angel venture capitalist emailed x10, no response any ideas / pointers?

Reply to
z

Very cool! Tell us more.

Reply to
BruceR

Without giving away details, does it need electronics or is it just optical. Precision optical or molded lens? I may be able to point you to the right people with a little more info. Contact me direct if you prefer - just delete the NOSPAM from my address.

Reply to
BruceR

its basically all in the software; hardware "adapter" is no moving parts; plastic cheap

Reply to
z

If there's an injection molding company nearby you may want to do a short run of prototypes to test market.

Reply to
BruceR

That is exactly what I am doing now; thanks for your interest.

I just recently got furiously inspired 2 weeks ago to push ahead, after sitting on this for 2 years; not knowing what to do. I can a least check peoples interest level, do small prototype run. But I am afraid of my idea being humped by some one who knows the marketing ropes better. I am guarded of talking and showing too much here.

I emailed DOD for developement grant; the paper work response is insane. I must call the small busness admin office.

Any other ideas?

Reply to
z

I guess the other side of the story is x-10 or whoever, may not be able to talk to anyone with out legal agreements; elsewise risking legal snafus.

Inventor Digest... Thanks, I'll try that tonight at Borders Book Store here in Lancaster, Pa.

Regards Ryan "z"

Reply to
z

You might want to research getting a patent on it but be VERY wary of outfits who promise to market it for you. Pick up a copy of Inventor's Digest as there is a lot of good info in that magazine. That's neither cheap nor fast but at least filing gives you some protection. In the meantime, get a non-disclosure agreement signed by anyone who you are going to show it to. You're right to be careful but at some point you have to put it out there so it can be sold.

Reply to
BruceR

formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

The current issue has a feature on plastic parts molding that you might find interesting. Also, click the heading that says BEWARE! - it has good info.

Reply to
BruceR

I think the first thing you need to do is a patent search. 360 degree technology has been around for a while. There's most likely considerable "prior art" in existence making the patenting of such a device impossible. There's a brief article that discusses prior art in non-lawyer sort of way:

Considering What Constitutes Prior Art in the United States (from the Journal of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society.)

formatting link

They say: "a person is not entitled to a patent if the invention was "known or used by others in this country, or was patented or described in a printed publication in this or a foreign country" before the date of invention by the applicant for the patent.

I see an awful lot of potential prior art with this Google search:

formatting link
which leads to, among others, these sites:

formatting link
(and some nice photos here:)

formatting link
formatting link
And then there's IPIX Corporation who sells "Digital equipment and software for the creation of spinning 360-degree panoramas"
formatting link

It may not matter whether you can build a device much cheaper if your cheaper method infringes on the existing patents awarded to the inventors of these technologies. At this stage, only you or your patent attorney knows enough about your system to know whether it relies on some sort of principle that neither in current use nor patented by someone else. The first step is usually a patent search. If you're lucky enough to have hit on something totally new, then you just have the typical rock-strewn, avalanche-prone, twisting uphill road that awaits most inventors. I don't think any venture capitalists would consider financing your idea unless you had the results of a prior arts patent search.

The site that Bruce Rob ? 49% of inventors who ?self-manufactured? realized modest or substantial profits. (Self-manufacturing was defined as ?actually setting up one?s own factory and being responsible for complete fabrication of the product.?)

? 13% of inventors who tried to license their patent rights realized modest or substantial profits.

It's clear that if you make and market your own invention, you've got a better shot at success than if you try to shop your idea around to a manufacturer. I've got some quibble about the study methodology used in the article and recommend that you remember this is all self-report data. People almost never under-report their own success. Here's a tale of how that trip along the rocky road of inventing can work out:

formatting link
Medtronic to Pay $1.35 Billion to Inventor By ANDREW POLLACK

Published: April 23, 2005

LOS ANGELES, April 22 - Medtronic Inc., the medical device maker, said on Friday that it would pay $1.35 billion to a surgeon turned inventor to gain ownership of patents related to spinal surgery and to settle litigation between them.

A federal jury ruled last fall that Medtronic should pay $559 million to the inventor, Dr. Gary K. Michelson, and his company, Karlin Technology.

Medtronic said on Friday that it would pay $550 million to settle the lawsuit and another $800 million to acquire the patents. The deal will also give Medtronic rights to virtually all the spine-related inventions Dr. Michelson makes in the next 15 years.

(Article continued at NY Times site - free, but registration required. This doctor became an inventor because his large hands scared his patients!)

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Thanks Robert; Thought provoking! Yes, "360 pano" is dated. Yes, Prior art does exist; thus squelching hardware patents. I SEE MORE THAN THAT HERE; was that a pun?! I could use it as a marketing slogan?! O Well, What doesn't kill me; just makes me funnier. NIET"Z"SCHE Ryan

PS: Lets be casual now, after all...its Saturday Hey, does the above paragragh outline look like the bow of one of those new cruise ships. or is it just way too much coffee again.

Reply to
z

If your device is covered under the prior art and any of the patents are still effective, it will also squelch your ability to market your device unless you purchase the rights or want to risk loosing everything.

When looking at the prior art, you have to remember that it is not just the results. The method and specific claims are what are important.

As an example. (I have not checked any of these, just making up possible scenerios) A super fish eye lens aimed upwards has probably been claimed for taking 360 degree pictures. That would not affect your claim if you are using a single vertical line imager that rotates around the circle. Your single vertical line imager might have been previously claimed in a patent that is for intruder detection via light and dark. If the patent claims do not include your use, you will be able to claim it.

It is very appropriate to look at how close your invention is to the prior art and look for ways to modify your device so that they do not fall within the claims of the prior art.

Yes, it did.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Cheer up, there's a bright side. The patents may have expired, and in that case, you're free to use the idea without having to pay royalties. The means if you can make it cheaper than anyone else and still make a profit, your idea might still have legs. Visit the patent office site on the web and look around.

:-)

Edison, IIRC, had more failures than successes. My favorite was his talking doll company that went bust:

formatting link
It seems that after a few plays of the wax recording hidden inside the doll, the playback became horrifically screechy sounded, scary the bejeezus out of the very kids it was meant to entertain. Now, of course, Edison has become so famous that even old shares of his bankrupt doll company sell for $3000 and up. Not that Edison reaps that benefit, however. :-) God only knows what intact dolls with playable recordings are worth if a piece of paper commands such a high price.

You'd better cut back!!!!! :-) But don't stop looking for new ideas. I think one of the reasons for Edison's success is that he didn't discourage easily. Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

"B Fuhrmann" That would not affect your claim if you are using a single

FWIW, that's a device that's already been patented as the Hulcherama Panoramic Camera. The designer is better known for his ultra-high speed sequence cameras, which are probably close to obsolete with new high speed digicams.

formatting link
Details about the slit operation are at:

formatting link
IIRC, all his stuff is well patented.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Seriously well informed responses. Thank You Very Much.

I'll byte the bit and ask Stefan Gatcher UV Prague what he knows about the patents etc. He has ieee documented extensively. I've see some mirrors made at Neovision.com are relate to UVP. I am thinking there are / or could be some math differences in how I unwrap the reflected image.

Can I dispute a patent encompassment by sighting old Cartography art practice method? Otherwise could my peanut company just claim bankruptcy and move on? I feel I can't bare any of this legal foder...the money or the time.

Ryan Witta "z"

Reply to
z

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.