Gigabit extendeder over 1 or 2 pairs?

Does anyone know of any ethernet extender type devices to establish a gigabit link over 2 pairs of copper? Have a short (100') inter-building link but can't run fiber or copper for that matter (historic buildings, concrete all around, squat for conduit). Have to use limited existing Cat 5 copper. Only 2 pairs available which are running at 100'TX now :( No cost effective wireless out there, is there?

Reply to
Joey
Loading thread data ...

Joey wrote in part:

Check

formatting link
. IIRC, there was a standard under development for gig over 2pr, but less than 100m. Maybe someone built silicon.

It will be expensive, and worse it will be vulnerable to lightning. Any nearby strike will raise one buildings ground-stake above the others, so the ethernet will be a new ground path. When that exceeds the xfo isolation around 500V, electronics will fry unless separate protection has been provided.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Thanks... I did just dig up the BlackBox network book, but nothing good. Yeah on the voltage potential, that always bugs me. I've used various

10/100 extenders a few times with success. They're supposed to be optoisolated, but who knows! :) The best solution was to move to fiber of course... sounds like that will probably be the only solution here. Get the tractor. Unless they want some aerial line.

Thx J

Reply to
Joey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.