how to determine carrier from cell phone number

Does anyone know of a website or webservice that will list the carrier given a person's cell phone number? I spent a little while looking but couldn't find anything. Perhaps someone from the group can suggest where I can find this, if it's out there.

Thanks,

Andrew Pasetti

Reply to
Andrew Pasetti
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like I'm out of luck. How do think places like yahoo mobile handle determining the carrier? They have a "don't know carrier" option for sending an sms.

-Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Pasetti

An easier way is to use teleflip. To text any mobile number in North American simply send an email or email text message to snipped-for-privacy@teleflip.com e.g. snipped-for-privacy@teleflip.com and it should be delivered. I'm not sure if or how it will handle numbers that have either been ported from the original mobile provider or ported from a land line, but AFAIK it works with all networks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
Joseph

Thanks for your help. Would you be able to recommend a site that lists all the US carriers along with their sms email address?

-Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Pasetti

It used to be possible, but with the advent of number portability, I do not think it is anymore.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

You might see if this is any help....

formatting link
burris

Reply to
burris

You can discover who owns the area code and prefix. It might be possible to determine who originally owned individual blocks of numbers within the prefix, but with number portabiltiy, that might not describe the current carrier.

Reply to
dold

They undoubtedly default to the owner of the NPA-NXX. That would be correct most of the time. It might even work all of the time. An SMS message to snipped-for-privacy@att.mobile.net might still go through even if I ported my number to Verizon.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.