Now the reporter will never prove the Mars landing was a hoax [telecom]

[press release]

Now the reporter will never prove the Mars landing was a hoax ... (a)

The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities on Thursday (Sept. 16) granted Verizon's request to provide customers with an online, electronic version of the Verizon White Pages directory as the primary means to access residential telephone directory information.

Beginning in December, most Verizon directories delivered in New Jersey will not include residential white pages listings. ---- rest:

formatting link

[a] (In a well-known work of fiction), when reporter Robert Caulfield started suspecting there might be some funny goings on in regards to Capricorn One's [b] supposed flight to, and landing, on Mars, he met up with Elliot Whitter, a NASA tech.

However, Mr. Whitter vanished. As did all records showing he'd ever existed.

For example, Caulfield went to Whitter's apartment, a place he had visited previously. Yet there was a totally different couple living there, who claimed they had been there for years, and there were piles of magazines lying around showing subscription labels going way back.

Caulfield's editor thought his star reporter was losing it. But then.... Caulfield grabbed a phone book. And sure enough, his pal's entry was still there.

As Caulfield put it, "they" couldn't re-edit a hundred thousand phone books....

[b] a very good book and a pretty good movie. The phone book scene was in the first, not the latter.

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...
[Moderator snip]

formatting link
[Moderator snip]

The AT&T 'books' that were just delivered here in the Appleton, WI area also, for the first time, omit the residential white pages listings. The very good local street maps that they had been using for the last couple of decades are gone, too.

Sigh....

Reply to
Michael G. Koerner

Fine. I tried it. It's a much worse interface than RHDonnelley's. It took three steps to get to the page, which is a single page .pdf. If I'm browsing, it won't even let me go to the next page without first choosing a name that lands on the page. Good grief. No one will use it a second time.

formatting link

Ah. Thanks for explaining the reference.

Yes, the movie starts out great but then it runs out of plot around the middle. I should track down the novel, which I never read.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

Sometimes an older edition of a directory will have a listing that is not provided later on. For instance, in my area the USPS used to provide the phone numbers of each individual post office; likewise for many banks and retailers. But now these big organizations list only a central 800 number and don't give out individual location listings. For the consumer it means dealing with "voice mail jail" and automated sales pitches you can't bypass. Sometimes one must contact a local office; for instance, to see if they're open during a snowstorm.

Also, sometimes individuals change their home number to unpublished which won't appear in the newest directory, but will appear in an older version.

Of course the flip side to all this is most people won't want the bulk of retaining older directories.

As to providing an on-line alternative, I sure hope it's more accurate than the online directories provided today. Disconnected phone numbers remain visible for years after disconnection; and numbers are listed in the wrong town and not available in ordinary searches. Some numbers show up only when using a very precise search argument; a hard copy user wouldn't have that problem.

Reply to
Lisa or Jeff

It's no great loss. For over 15 years, the post office has been actively discourage the public from calling the local office. The phone number that used to be published in the phone directory is likely disconnected. Postal management has been changing the phone numbers of post offices specifically to thwart the general public from calling, and the phone numbers are now getting changed every second or third year.

I've heard stories from staff that their office phone numbers were changed without telling staff that works at the office.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

I have noticed that many banks that did not publish the phone numbers for their branches have now resumed listing them with address and phone number. But not the post office. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts --- multipart/alternative text/plain (text body -- kept) text/html

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

Ah, the saga of directory listings. How many people recall that France Telecom was the driving force behind the "Minitel" terminal in the 1970-1980 era? Everyone on this side of the ocean wondered whyFrance Telecom was so successful with their Minitel when our own attempts at Videotex / Teletex were abismal failures. It turns out that A) They were distributed free to France Telecom subscribers and B) The paper directories were never accurate or updated and live information service was equally horrid. Thus the only way to look up a telephone number was to use a Minitel and its associated online DB. Is this a repeat of the same strategy that worked (sort of) 40 years ago?

Jack

***** Moderator's Note *****

A. Because it breaks the natural top-to-bottom flow of a written conversation. Q. Why is top-posting bad?

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
JaxGoogleMail

Heh!

As a moderator of several astronomy and computer groups, I (fortunately) infrequently have to add the following items copy'n'pasted to reformatted malformed replies:

(1) A: Yes. Q: Does that happen with short messages too? A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is it such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing in forums and in e-mail?

(2) A: It is contrary to logical thought. Q: Why is top posting bad?

(3) A: Yes.

(4) /* Moderator note: * Please inline or bottom post per the posting requirements * you accepted by joining this group: * * * * */

Feel welcome to use any/all of the above. :-)

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Well, that's interesting since if you go to usps.com and input a ZIP code e.g. 04101 for Portland, ME at 400 Congress St you'll first see

800-ASK-USPS but if you click on the location it brings you to another page where it tells you the number is (207) 761-0267. If you input the ZIP code 98102 at 101 Broadway East in Seattle it also says call 800-ASK-USPS but if you click on the link it will tell you the post office's number is (206) 324-5474. I checked several ZIP codes and they all seem to show the number of the ZIP's post office.
Reply to
Joseph Singer

And compare any of these numbers you found on line to numbers that were published in past telephone directors, and you'll find that they've changed.

Also, try to find the correct phone numbers in ordinary on-line telephone directories as opposed to only the post office's Web site.

You can get these phone numbers from 800 ASK-USPS too but only after going through several menu layers.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.