dirtball telemarketer recording

I happened to stumble upon an especially sleazy telemarketer using an automated device in violation of 47 USC 227 to leave messages on my voice mail.

I placed an ad in the newspaper to sell a car, and left my cell phone as the contact number. Shortly thereafter, I began to receive ?Unavailable' calls where nobody answers the other end of the line. Usually, a predictive dialer listens for ?Hello' to patch through a telemarketer, as opposed to ?Hello, I can't answer the phone right now...' (I know, sales calls to cell phones are illegal, and I really don't get any, but that is besides the point)

Anyway, I started dumping the ?Unavailable' calls to voice mail, and sure enough, messages are left, saying that their name is ?Stuart' or ?Philip' from Longwood Industries, and to call them back at

800-430-1965 because they have an offer to advertise my car on the internet for $89.99.

Me thinks that this dirtball telemarketer has their predictive dialer configured to hang up on all calls where a human answers the phone, and to stay on the line and leave a message on all calls where voice mail or an answering machine answers the phone; i.e. the exact opposite of what predictive dialers usually do.

By using the predictive dialer in this manner, it gives the appearance that a live person is leaving a message on your voice mail, and not some blasted (and illegal) machine doing the dirty work.

A google search on '800-430-1965' and 'Longwood Industries' returns a website called thebiglot.com which claims to be ?the best selection of private party used cars for sale online'. There seem to be some other people annoyed at Longwood Industries here:

formatting link
I would LOVE to catch these jerks in the act of using an automated device in violation of 47 USC 227. Specifically, I want to trick their predictive dialer into thinking that it has reached a recording, when in fact, it is really me on the other end, trying to hold a conversation with a stupid machine to prove that it is really a machine, all while I am recording the call.

The only catch is, (a) how does the dialer know when to start leaving the message, and (b) how can I record a conversation on my cell phone? The messages are always left on my voice mail as if it is a real person waiting for the beep, so the machine must be parsing for a voice mail or answering machine beep or something.

Does anyone have any ideas on nailing this jerk?

tks.

- brian

-- tired of paying interest on your credit cards? check out

formatting link

Reply to
Brian Doreste
Loading thread data ...

Brian, everyone likes to get down on Predictive Dialers, but I fear this is not your culprit. Still what they are doing is illegal. We do infact make autodialers that are used by the collection industry which can detect between a human or a machine and play a different message to each. BTW, this is legal for collections. It is not legal how it is being used in your case. It is called an autodialer.

So, to answer your questions below:

a) the dialer listens to the cadence. What this means in english is that an answering machine usually plays a long message before a pause such as "hi this is joe blow and I'm not here right now but if you want to leave em a message...", etc. It might take 8-10 seconds and the dialer can then wait for the beep, or delay for a few seconds after 8-10 seconds of noise and start playing. When a human answers, on the other hand you say someing like "Brain here", which only lasts for a short period. Thus the autodialer detects this. Dialogic claimed to have Perfect Detection or some other name like this, but it was based on the same thing.

b) to get your callphone to record it just change your greeting on your cellphone to "hello?", if I understand correctly. BTW, telemarketing to cellphones is illegal.

------------------------------------- Brian Doreste wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.telecom.tech - 5132 messages and counting!

Reply to
wooliewillie

[snip]
[snip]

Report them to the FCC. You can fill out a complaint online.

formatting link

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

So is telemarketing to FAX machines. I don't see that stopping anytime soon either........ ;-) Great so it's illegal. Now what? Yeah I fill out the fcc online form. If you get a bunch of 'em they "might" do something. I still get spam faxes all the time. Never hurts to try I guess.........

Scotty

Reply to
Scott Nelson - Wash DC

Some telcos have a service called Do Not Disturb which can be used in a similar way. You can set your DND time to be 24 hours/day, with a four-digit override code (which you give to your legitimate contacts) and optionally a "*" emergency override (where the caller has to state his name, it rings you, it plays the name and asks if you will take the call).

It has been utterly delightful since I put this in place. It's cheaper than No Solicitation, Security Screen, or Caller ID and actually works in blocking all undesired calls.

I kept Caller ID anyway, just so I have a log of incoming calls and know to call back if there's a missed call.

-- Mark --

formatting link
does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate. Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply to
Mark Crispin

I suspect the machines wait for a recording beep before delivering their advertising spiel.

I've added a simple intelligence test to my answering system, by shutting off the recording capability on the primary greeting. It now asks them to enter a mailbox # or to press 0 for a directory. If they don't respond within 15 seconds it just hangs up.

I.E. They must enter a mailbox number in order to leave a message.

That technique has completely eliminated the answering machine spam problem(1 yr+). Unfortunately, teleco's have yet to discover this fairly simple solution.

Reply to
Tim Keating

Scott, Jan 1 2005 a new law goes into effect that will outlaw junk fax. I thought that it was already in place, but apparently not, after reviewing the FCC site.

BTW, lots of poor people earned a living from telemarketing. Before you make a comment that you wish to take away someone's livelihood, think of how you will explain your actions and words to your maker, when you meet him. I hate junk faxes too. I have my fax machine powered off right now, in fact. When I get a call from a telemarketer I usually say "no thank you" and hang up. It is only when I get a few calls from the same place in a short period that I personally request to be put on the Do No Call List.

B2B telesales is still legal (as are political calls and calls from non profits and calls from people who you already have a relationship with such as your bank, phone co, utilities, or people who you have contacted, such as those who advertise on TV with an 800 number, and also collection calls).

I personally have gotten out of the business of telemarketing. Actually, I never was a telemarketer, but I was involved in creating telemarketing systems. I have scaled this back to B2B only, which is, as I said, legal.

------------------------------------- Scott Nels> "wooliewillie"

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.telecom.tech - 5256 messages and counting!

Reply to
wooliewillie

We'll see.

The legit telemarketers I have no issue with. The ones that give a bogus "removal number" and the like are the ones that need to be persecuted and run out of business. All of the faxes I get fall into this category. Bogus stock tips, trips to Disneyland, cheap air travel, and the like.

I have got a couple of their lines cancelled by logging the fax lines and tracing the call. Then turning them into the FCC. Sure I get a line or two cancelled but they just get another one the next day. Good luck catching 'em.

The new law "might" work for legitimate telemarketers. ( if any legit FAX telemarketers exist ) All of my fax spam stuff is from "not so legit" people so, I don't expect to see anymore change from this law then that BS can-spam crap that the politicians came up with that makes it easier to send spam..........

YMMV I guess ;-)

Scotty

Reply to
Scott Nelson - Wash DC

Actually, the House passed the Junk Fax Prevention Act of 2004 which is REALLY the "Junk Fax is Back" act.

formatting link

Reply to
David Lesher

Figures.

/sarcasm=on Another "can-fax" law that's just as effective as the "can-spam" law ...... /sarcasm=off

Scotty

formatting link

Reply to
Scott Nelson - Wash DC

This is a lame excuse.

Lots of people make a living selling drugs too.

Reply to
hamilton

-->ROFL! Very true. :-)

Scotty

Reply to
Scott Nelson - Wash DC

LOL. Lot's of poor peoiple make a living doing all sorts of immoral things. That does not make it OK.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.