Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Macintosh Hacker Attacks Are on the Rise -Symantec
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Hacker attacks on Apple Computer Inc.'s OS X operating system, thought by many who use the Mac to be virtually immune to attack, are on the rise, according to a report from...

Re: Our Telephonic Primacy
Advocates of public policy on both sides of the aisle love to throw out statistics. Newspapers like them as well -- they "authenticate" a story. But the key component of all statistics is the base...

Re: Intertel Eclipse Telephone Programming
I don't think that can be done. [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Quite a few years ago, I had two lines in Skokie, IL -- ORchard 7 9510 and ORchard 7 9511. Both had Voicemail on them from Ameritech;...

Texas Files Lawsuit Against Vonage
Telecom dailyLead from USTA March 23, 2005 'S HEADLINES NEWS OF THE DAY * Texas files lawsuit against Vonage BUSINESS & INDUSTRY WATCH * Microsoft, Symbian target RIM * SBC taps five execs for IPTV...

Re: What Happened To Channel 1
The channel is the range of frequencies allocated to that broadcast station. NTSC (analog TV) and ATSC (digital TV) still use the same channels. Most of the new DTV channels are UHF, and the...

Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:10:07 -0500, Michael Quinn replied: From the Amateur Radio Newsline report #1399 last year: ENFORCEMENT: EATERY FINED $10,000 FOR USING 2 METERS Rem ember the case of Best Wok?...

Re: Our Telephonic Primacy
I wonder how accurate these international rankings are. Recently someone claimed that infant mortality was worse in the U.S. than in Cuba, something I find difficult to believe without additional...

Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System
Yes and No. Some tollways give a big discount to EZPASS users and provide faster lanes, making cash users pay more and wait longer. (Other tollways actually charge more for EZPASS than cash users,...

Re: Dangling Broadband From the Phone Stick
It seems to me you contradicted your own post and have a double standard. Your clipping stated that cable companies offer broadband as an alternative. So consumers DO have an alternative and don't...

Phoning 0870 and 0844 UK Numbers Out of Free Minutes
Does anyone know of any UK mobile phones companies/plans which allow to phone 0870 and 0844 numbers out of the free minutes.

SS7 vs SIP
Hi, I'm looking for the equivelant terms in SIP to SS7 terms: OPC, DPC, CIC, SLS. Is it possible to compare between the two technologies? I am working with a monitoring program that monitors SS7...

Re: What Happened To Channel 1
Sort of how the FCC has pretty much admitted that anyone with a modicum of technical knowledge will be able to defeat the broadcast flag.

Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones?
I highly doubt that it is legal in the U.S. However, modifying your 802.11 gear and using say a PalmOS type machine with an 802.11 card you could probably cobble together a VoIP solution that has a...

News Corporation Completes Acquisition of Fox
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 21, 2005--News Corporation (NYSE: NWS, NWS.A; ASX: NWS, NWSLV) announced today that it has completed its previously announced acquisition of Fox Entertainment Group,...

Re: What happened to Channel 1?
WhereupExcept that the relevant parameter is noise figure, not gain. To the extent that the preamp has a better (i.e., lower) noise figure than the TV set's own tuner (and holding all other variables...