Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System

John Lev>> The potential for privacy problems is severe, but to their credit I

>> don't think I've ever heard reports of abuses. Besides the >> possibility of tracking people by tag use, there's the violation >> tracking issue. If you drive through an E-ZPAss booth in NY with no >> tag or an invalid tag, a camera takes a picture of your car and they >> will ask the state DMV to look up the license plate number so they can >> send you a ticket. > The original private contractor for the NJ EZP system was notoriously, > sending out many violation notices that weren't deserved. That > strongly discouraged motorists from adopting EZP. Of course, now the > NJTpk intends to eliminate the EZP discount, which is a stupid move > since it removes the incentive for motorists to use EZP, esp > occassional drivers. Result is more overcrowding in cash lanes.

Massachusetts doesn't give a discount for FastLane, but last year they instituted a tax deduction if you use it enough to be considered a commuter (I think $150 or $250).

Barry Margolin, snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA

*** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
Reply to
Barry Margolin
Loading thread data ...

never be nonviolent unless you run into some nonviolence. I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go insane, and I'm not responsible for what I do. And that's the way every Negro should get. Any time you know you're within the law, within your legal rights, within your moral rights, in accord with justice, then die for what you believe in. But don't die alone. Let your dying be reciprocal. This is what is meant by equality. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

When we begin to get in this area, we need new friends, we need new allies. We need to expand the civil-rights struggle to a higher level -- to the level of human rights. Whenever you are in a civil-rights struggle, whether you know it or not, you are confining yourself to the jurisdiction of Uncle Sam. No one from the outside world can speak out in your behalf as long as your struggle is a civil-rights struggle. Civil rights comes within the domestic affairs of this country. All of our African brothers and our Asian brothers and our Latin-American brothers cannot open their mouths and interfere in the domestic affairs of the United States. And as long as it's civil rights, this comes under the jurisdiction of Uncle Sam.

But the United Nations has what's known as the charter of human rights; it has a committee that deals in human rights. You may wonder why all of the atrocities that have been committed in Africa and in Hungary and in Asia, and in Latin America are brought before the UN, and the Negro problem is never brought before the UN. This is part of the conspiracy. Th

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.