What if People Don't Take the Bait to Go Paperless? [Telecom]

For a variety of reasons, people change their email addresses much more often then they change their home address. Sometimes emails will get forwarded to the new address, but usually not. First class postal mail normally is forwarded for one year.

To provide some background, around the time that was instituted, circa

1970, despite automation the pre-divesture Bell System had more operators than in manual days and the labor costs were high. Information services represented a huge proportion of that cost. They realized a great many people were using Information for numbers already in the phone book, and some callers were making very heavy use of it. Also, as a result of competition the Bell System began to change its rate schedule from 'average' to 'usage'. Low cost users would pay less. MCI didn't offer directory assistance and it was foolish for the Bell System to offer that as a free service to a competitor.

Fast forwarding to today, I just saw a big Verizon poster ad for 411 information services; they provide a variety of information now. I don't believe the price was mentioned on the ad.

***** Moderator's Note *****

"DA" services were often used by bill collectors and other high-volume call originators, who were externalizing the cost of locating their targets when those they were chasing changed addresses or phone numbers. Research also showed that the highest volume non-commercial users were young customers who had never bothered to write down a number, so some "throttling" of the service was justifiable.

I do, however, feel strongly that non-commercial users should have a few calls "free" each month. Such allowances increase the likelihood of new business calls, make it easier to get help after a tragedy, and benefit the elderly and infirm, who may not be able to write anymore.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

I thought residential users were allowed a few free calls until I found out the hard way they are not. This annoyed me since it was a changed number not available in the phone book. But I agree [users] should have a few free DA calls.

I suspect the Baby Bells realized their competition cut costs and prices by not offering any DA at all and the Bells were losing customers, so they decided to go down to that level. I suspect the number of Baby Bell telephone operators still around is a small fraction of those in service right after Divesture.

Anyway, later they must have realized there's money to be made by charging a premium fee for 411 and providing yellow pages (ie restaurants) and other services.

As an aside, Verizon sold off its directory publishing business to something called Idearc (sp?). I understand it went bankrupt. Anyone know more?

[public replies please]
Reply to
hancock4

It was spun off not sold. From the start it was under funded and would fail. Also retired employees were moved to the new company, now there is a major legal battle.

-- The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? (c) 2009 I Kill Spammers, inc, A Rot in Hell. Co.

***** Moderator's Note *****

Please provide details on the legal battle. Thanks.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Steven

The article is in the summer issue of Belltel Retirees newsletter at

formatting link
then search IDEARC.

Reply to
Steven

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.