Want More Information? Just Scan Me [telecom]

Want More Information? Just Scan Me

By STEPHANIE ROSENBLOOM September 21, 2011

DURING New York Fashion Week earlier this month, Quick Response (QR) codes - square, checkered symbols that can be scanned with one's smartphone - were as omnipresent as chunky black booties.

They were on cookies doled out by Tiffany that, when scanned, revealed an invitation to a concert with Leighton Meester. They were on a pink Barbie-themed bus, and on doll displays in stores that could be scanned for a chance to win designer clothes. And they were on postcards for a "fashion hunt" with the Madison Avenue Business Improvement District and the blog Madison Avenue Spy.

Weeks earlier, a model walked a runway in Barcelona with a QR code emblazoned on the bodice of her Frans Baviera gown; meanwhile, a company called Skanz began selling silicone bracelets embellished with QR codes that enable anyone with a smartphone to scan your wrist and instantly access a Web page with your contact information, social media links, even favorite photos and videos.

In other words: you've become a human hyperlink.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

Does anyone remember Cue-Cat?

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Don't tattoos last longer?

Reply to
David Clayton

If the tattoo actually contains the information, it could be painful to change it. If the tattoo simply refers to a vendor and contains a code number (more likely so a vendor could get a revenue stream from it for being able to change your contact info), that could become a problem when the vendor goes bust.

As another poster said, remember the CueCat? I think I've still got one around here somewhere.

There are also problems of where you put the tattoo on your body that isn't affected much by effects of aging and obesity, doesn't raise the ire of the Decency Patrol or get covered up in some seasons, and doesn't distort much or get covered up by clothing as you move your body. I suppose putting it on my forehead meets those requirements, sort of, but that's a bit too obvious.

I've found that scanning QR codes doesn't work very well on my Blackberry 9700. It's critical that the phone (and the QR code) stay motionless. Reading it at an angle doesn't work well. You need to get fairly close. And it still may require a couple of tries. Scanning one off a CRT screen displaying a web browser is more unreliable than printing it, then scanning it. I think there's enough self-checking built in that it either reads OK or the program knows there's an error, not getting the wrong link.

Reply to
Gordon Burditt

......... Doesn't matter, the basic point is that people are using an token that is capable of being used by technology to identify them.

The token only needs to be unique and in some database somewhere for any/all "vendors" to access it to KNOW who you are - which is a frightening concept already covered by many Sci-Fi writers who see the danger in this sort of folly.

My "tattoo" comment was based on the eventual destination of this insanity of allowing any sort of remote identification technology to be introduced

- once we all get comfortable being on that path it eventually will be easier to convince us to do things that would be unthinkable right now.

Do we really want to be a "human hyperlink" where any dolt with a mobile phone near you can start accessing your life without you knowing?

Reply to
David Clayton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.