LightSquared claims that it solves GPS interference with new device [telecom]

From CNET: LightSquared solves GPS interference with new device By: Marguerite Reardon

LightSquared, which is building a nationwide 4G LTE wireless broadband network using spectrum that is adjacent to the spectrum GPS device makers use, said it has developed receivers with GPS device manufacturer Javad GNSS that will eliminate concerns that the GPS community has brought forth regarding how its service would interfere with precision GPS devices.

LightSquared hasn't started building its network yet, but its entire business has been called into question recently as it faces criticism from the GPS industry, which claims that its network will interfere with high-precision GPS satellite services used in industries such as agriculture, surveying, aviation, construction, and national defense.

Read more:

formatting link

This "solution" worries me a lot. Here's why:

1. Many LECs make extensive use of GPS timing devices to synchonize the various components in their networks. If LightSquared's '4G' system causes interference to those GPS receivers, major outages are possible, and they'd probably be intermittent and thus hard to identify.

1. I didn't see anything in the article about "non precesion" GPS receivers, and if LightSquared isn't providing any solution to the problem of interference to "consumer grade" devices, that means that the Garmin GPS on the dashboard of my car, and similar units in millions of other vehicles, might be made obsolete.

-- Bill Horne (Filter QRM for direct replies)

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

In Bill Horne writes: [snip]

Similarly, while tests of, say, 10 "smart" LightSquared units working alongside 50 standard GPS'es may work ok in the lab, that's very, very, different from having 10,000 of them in the field, often outside, with weather and power spikes and water and bird poop.

If we make up the number that one percent of them will go kablooey each year, that's a pretty ugly number of facilities that will cause problems...

Reply to
danny burstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.