Too much to expect from an answering machine? [Telecom]

I currently have an AT&T 5840 answering machine base station for wireless handsets. The phones work fine, but the answering machine is either defective or was bad from the start. It seems that it worked OK initially, but if it degraded gradually I didn't notice.

#1 Most recorded messages are almost unintelligible, as if 4 bits were used to encode the audio, and I'm not talking u-law either.

#2 The announcements from the machine itself are probably 12 dB louder than any of the messages, so, you get SUNDAY! 3:40 PM! muffle muffle unintelligible blp bzzt ccckkk.... and if you try to turn it up to hear the actual message, your head gets blown off when Mr. Announcer comes back on.

Here's what I would LOVE to see:

1) Volume equalization between announcements and recordings (either settable, or use a compressor on the messages so the level is more consistent).

2) Allow me to turn the announcements OFF, so I can just scan the messages. Utlimately it is not that critical WHEN the message came in.

3) Allow me to move a message to a different inbox.

4) Keep the caller ID tag with the message so that I know where the call came from when I am listening to it.

5) Allow certain phone #'s to automatically route to one inbox or the other. Our outgoing messages tells people to press "2" to leave us a number so that friends are not mixed in with telemarketers etc. but some of them consistently ignore this.

I have done the basics Google search, usenet, CNET, etc. but there doesn't seem to be much interest in answering machines as far as cutting edge features etc. All the things I'm looking for seem possible.

Am I dreaming?

The main thing I don't want to do is go buy another setup that has the exact same problem as my AT&T unit - namely the messages are unintelligible even though using the phone has no such issue.

Reply to
Digital Larry
Loading thread data ...

One way to get _all_ the features you're looking for is to use Asterix (PBX and voicemail software freeware), on a Linux-based PC. Doesn't need a lot of CPU power, and line cards are quite inexpensive.

This can be really inexpensive if you (a) roll your own, and (b) have an old PC laying around (who doesn't? :) to commit to it. For more money, you can probably buy something 'off the shelf' from people who make a business of delivering pre-built solutions around Asterix.

The only thing that might get a little tricky is using a single base-station with multiple wireless sets behind it. However, using several single-station sets on different extensions behind the Asterix PBX is no problem.

***** Moderator's Note *****

Robert, I'm surprised to see your comment about line cards: I'd _love_ to have a voice-mail and mini-PBX for my business, but the only Asterisk line cards I've priced were in the $650 range for a quad FXO/FXS card, so please tell us what prices you've seen. Even the dual FXS/FXO TDM411E card on Digium's website

formatting link
for $544.39.

I've also been told that old machines don't cut it, and that a Pentium

3 or better and 512MB ram is the minimum hardware. Have you used something older than that?

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of the subject line of your post, or I may never see it. Thanks!)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Robert, can you please elaborate on why this would be an issue? I have not had the time to dig into Asterix specs to understand what it could be.

Here's another off the wall idea - I've been using a Nokia N810 Internet tablet as part of something I'm doing for work. This looks like it could make a cool wireless thin client for such an answering machine - y'know you'd be able to give it a fairly rich UI and use it anywhere in the house. Anyone done something like this?

Thanks, DL

Reply to
Digital Larry

I say again "MIGHT", not necessarily "will". Of course, it depends on exactly what you're trying to do.

But, for example, If the wireless rig is 'single line', with multiple sets, and one set is checking voice-mail messages, that ties up _the_ line 'out' to the Asterix system (where the voice-mail resides), so (a) an incoming call would go directly to voice mail, and (b) no other wireless set could make an outgoing call at that time.

With multiple base stations (on separate Asterix extensions), one wireless set can be checking voice mail -while- another is making an outgoing call.

The 'limited' smarts in a single multi-handset base can prevent the greater smarts in the Asterix from being accessible to all stations at all times.

I'm sure _somebody_ has.

You're encouraged to think a bit _further_ outside the box -- Asterix will function as a VoIP _server_, and you could use it over a secure link from _any_ wi-fi access-point. Not just 'in the house'. Take your 'home' dial- tone with you, as well as your voice-mail, etc.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

OK, I get it, well I hadn't actually gone to the point of considering an actual PBX type installation, after all I'm just trying to replace my cheapo answering machine with something that works properly. I think the Asterisk thing is going to be beyond my means what with the cost of the Digium card. However I did find this:

formatting link
VOCP Linux project for answering machine based on voice modem, also remote client VOCPWeb (presumably for use within the network but you could probably VPN to it and also get messages remotely).

Thx,

DL

***** Moderator's Note *****

I'll chime in with this thought: compared to the value of your time, Asterisk is probably a great buy: anything you can do to filter the never-ending parade of hucksters, bill collectors, and politicians is cheap at twice the price. Asterisk and similar software is worth having because it returns control of _our_ telephone lines to _us_.

I think (and you heard it here first) that within the next decade it will be routine to have an "answering machine" which is actually a call screener. Those with the right access code will be put through, those without will get the recorder or just a disconnection.

We've all been part of a cultural shift that has rewarded our desire to keep in touch with our friends with an obligation to manage the time and schedules of total strangers: after all, if you want to get in touch with me, I think that it's _your_ job to do so, not mine. An answering machine, however, puts that job on _my_ head, and I'm tired of the weight.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of the subject line of your post, or I may never see it. Thanks!)

Reply to
Digital Larry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.