from answering machine to CD [Telecom]

I have some messages on a digital answering machine (VTech Model 5871) that I want to record onto a CD, in order to preserve them. How can I most easily do that? Thanks.

Reply to
Jerry
Loading thread data ...

Assuming the answering machine doesn't have a headphone output, go with clip leads from the speaker of the answering machine, through a small transformer and into your PC's sound card.

Reply to
Ron Kritzman

How can I most easily do that? - Use a microphone to your computer and hold it close to the answering machine's speaker.

The handset most likely has an earphone jack. Connect it to the mic input of the computer. You'll have to play around with the right adapter cable.

Reply to
DTC

You can use a program called Audacity to do that. You'd need a line-out from the answering machine going to the mic/line-in jack on the computer. A pre-amp might also be necessary.

Then just use Audacity to record. Very simple.

***** Moderator's Note *****

See

formatting link
to download Audacity: it's open source.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of the subject line of your post, or I may never see it. Thanks!)

Reply to
T

thanks for all the replies.

Would there be a way to call the machine from a PC, to remotely retrieve the messages? That way I could use Audacity to record, but wouldn't have to mess with any cable or transformer.

I can't seem to locate any program that lets you do that. I think that Win 95 had that built it.

Reply to
Jerry

Audacity has a record function? Never noticed that. I use the YoGen sound recorder.

Reply to
DTC

I think the easiest way to do this is to get a "telephone pickup coil", the little suction cup thing you stick on the back of the receiver. Plug it into the microphone input on your sound card, and you're on your way.

Harold

***** Moderator's Note *****

Harold, I and every other James Bond wannabe gave up on pickup coils in the sixties: they're noisy, unreliable, and their performance changes with their orientation to the earth's magnetic field.

Sorry to bust your baloon.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of the subject line of your post, or I may never see it. Thanks!)

Reply to
harold

Sorry to hear you have not had good luck with them. I have one of those fancy Radio Shack units that works well on my old Western Electric phone and would, I think, work well on any FCC compliant (hearing aid compatible) phone. I do a few telephone interviews for articles I write. I plug the pickup coil into the microphone input on my laptop, fire up Audacity, and I'm in business. I'm sure a direct connection would work better, but this is simple and adequate for the job.

Thanks!

Harold

Reply to
harold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.