The most profound question about cellphones ever. [telecom]

Is it okay to charge one's cellphone with it turned on? The manual says the cellphone should be turned off when charging. So, will it charge even if it's turned on? And if you charge it with it turned on, can you receive calls?

Reply to
Zorbampano
Loading thread data ...

None I've owned have had that limitation that I am aware of. All of mine have been on charge when in the car.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Some power supplies only have enough grunt (technical term, that) to fast charge a phone only when it is turned off. When it is turned on they can still charge, but it will take longer.

There is usually not problem making calls while charging.

Reply to
David Clayton

It depends on the phone, but I've never seen a phone that was damaged by being charged while it was turned on, or that didn't work while it was being charged.

I suppose it'll charge a little faster if you turn it off.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

You can charge any phone when it is on, but if the battery is totally down the phone may go back into charging mode. My Palm Pre, a battery pig, shows a battery charging symbol when the battery is down too low to run the phone. My GSM phones (2 Nokia and a Motorola) will run with a dead battery from the charger. Car chargers may support this mode where the plug in (AC) may not. The phone will definitely ring if it is on. I have made and received calls in this mode. The risk is a dropped call if the talk power takes too much power from the charger and the battery. Remember the charging times are all quoted with the phone off, so charging times when on may be much longer. This is not a big deal if plugged into AC outlet overnight, but if the battery is dead and you want to make a call in a half hour charging with power off is better.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Smith

A sales representative for Cingular (now AT&T) told me she always plugs in the car chaerger and plugs her phone into it, turned on, whenever she gets in her car.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

I've been doing that since my second phone. The first one in 1984 had a base installed in the car, so when mounted to the base it was receiving vehicle power. That educated me the same was as the Cingular rep was educated. Why not be on "ship's" power whenever possible?

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.