Need a large PBX. [telecom]

I have a somewhat pressing need to replace an existing 400-extension PBX which cannot be easily converted to VoIP and for which Centrex service would not be economical (no surprise there).

I am pricing several options but I'm no longer up to date on what's available in the unfashionable traditional-PBX marketplace. What should I be looking at, and what's it likely to run me? Voicemail and a dial-by-name attendant are requirements though I can bolt on an IVR system of some kind for those if it's more cost effective.

Almost all traffic is local to the PBX. The minimal outside traffic is currently handled by 10 ground-start trunks but this particular aspect of the system could, of course, be replaced by something more modern. Elsewise, I really do want a plain vanilla old fashioned PBX.

Not that anyone seems to want to sell me one of those these days.

Reply to
Thor Lancelot Simon
Loading thread data ...

Call your Nortel rep. They will actually talk to you.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Nortel? They're in the process of being dismantled. Who bought their PBX business?

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

They're also operating in bankruptcy, are they not?

Reply to
Thor Lancelot Simon

Nortel is in flux right now. It is unsure who even owns what, as far as product lines. Just navigating "their" website is an adventure in pain, reminiscent of post-apocalyptic fiction.

One thing I can say with certainty, they don't make conventional phone systems anymore. :^(

Thor,

Can you provide some additional background info?

1. What is the make and model of the existing PBX?
  2. What type of phones are used at the stations?
  3. What is the exact nature of the existing cable plant? a. Inside wire only, or is some of it outside? b. Distance of longest loop? c. Type of existing inside wire?
  4. What is your geographic location [nearest city, if in the U.S.]

The reason for the third degree is this: I would like very much to present your case on an Interconnect forum that I belong to [with your permission, of course]. If your existing system is like I imagine it is, then your case is a perfect example of why VoIP is not the "be-all, end-all" that some people think it is.

Here is what I imagine you have: A campus type environment, with a number of separate buildings. Some stations may be located thousands of feet, or even *miles* from the switch. The outside plant is conventional PIC cable, and most of the inside wire is CAT 3 or lower, with 66 blocks at the distribution points. The stations are conventional 2500 style sets.

If this is close to describing your system, then it would be a perfect example to be used in a *long* running debate concerning the rush to VoIP. As you are already aware, you need a real phone system with 48 volt loops and true 90V ringing. Nothing else will do. You know it, I know it, but some people just don't get it. That is why the debate has been going on for years.

If you can furnish a detailed description of your current system, and if you allow me to present it [or join the forum and present it yourself], the benefit will be that you will likely find a vendor that can furnish what you need. Some of the larger Interconnect companies are sitting on gently used or even NOS PBX systems, and may be anxious to make a deal that you can't refuse.

Jim Bennett

************************************************** Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.
Reply to
Jim Bennett

When I stopped working for them (ten years ago - time flies!) they were part of Siemens, and were no longer using the ROLM name. I think they are still around; I'll ping someone, and post again what I find out.

Mark

Reply to
The Kaminsky Family

I heard back from a friend who had stayed on long after I left.

The last of engineering originally from the ROLM campus were laid off about 2 years ago. By then it was Siemens only in name - it was a subsidiary of the Gores Group (an equity firm). Siemens Networks Boca Raton is the last development site for the unit in the US; they make an IP PBX.

Mark

Reply to
The Kaminsky Family

Didn't Google buy a bunch of Nortel's patents?

And here's my take on VoIP systems, particularly Cisco. Not bad at all. And they don't need any special networking anymore.

In fact my Cisco phone at work has my Ubuntu box hanging off it.

Reply to
T

Oh but I should add something I just ran into. I don't like the fact that the Cisco phones package up voicemails as a wav file and then email it to you. So if I come into the office and see the message waiting LED's lit, I'll get the voicemail fromt the phone. If you do that it never forwards the voicemail to email.

Well this past Friday I listened to my message, deleted the message and the LED's never extinguished. It was that way up until I left for the day so I filed a help desk ticket. We'll see what happens when I go in on Tuesday.

Reply to
T

So what *did* happen when you went in on Tuesday? Or is it too soon to tell?

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.